Sunday 15 May 2011

Penang Part 2

Finally, continuing from where I left off, trip to Penang Part 2. Lots of pictures of food ahead.


As we took the pedestrian bridge, crossing the main roads circling Komtar complex, we walked past the lazy shop houses which remained closed despite being almost afternoon. People in Penang do have good lives. They start their businesses after 12pm.

The famous Penang Laksa on Penang road which was just walking distance from my grandfather's shop house. My dad looked too big in those seats. 

 Laksa is a tradisional Malay dish where noodles made from rice is served in hot broth made of fish, pineapple and mint.

My mum ordered Char Kuay Teow (Stir fried rice sticks) which had clams and oysters in it. I think it's the slightly burnt flavour which makes it so tantalizing.

Second round of breakfast:


We walked to Campbell road where this famous cafe lies hidden in one of the small alleys. I felt like stepping into another dimension as I made myself towards the table. We ordered the famous coffee served in teacups more than 50 years old and the famous roti bakar (toast), toasted with charcoal just beneath the boiling water. As the heat came from such a low level, the waiter had to squat down to toast the bread.

Super duper delicious! It was so crunchy on the outside and soft inside with melted kaya and butter. I am so going to gain weight if I'm staying in Penang. I'm not a big fan of coffee but I can say that this coffee was even better than any Starbucks or San Francisco Coffee franchise. Plus, this set came up to less than RM3.

Next to the Laksa stall, there is this famous Teo Chew Cendol dessert just by the roadside. One thing unique in Penang is that you can see motorcyclist having their meals, on their motorbikes with their engines still switched on in front of these small stalls. The best part of this sweet dessert was the juicy and fat red beans and the taste of Gula Melaka. Sweet.


Second round of dessert from the roadside stall on the lane just next to my grandfather's shop on our way back. It's sweet peanut dessert which was really delicious as the peanuts were so soft that it melts in your mouth. Must be from hours of boiling.

For afternoon tea, we had egg tarts from Adventist Hospital's bakery which is famous for its healthy selection of pastries.

Dinner:
We went to Perut Rumah (Stomach of the House) for Penang's Nyonya cuisine.

I loved the atmosphere in the restaurant. It used to be an old Mansion, now converted into a restaurant that serves Nyonya food. If any of those antiques broke, I would be so sad as each carries years of history.

The food was delicious!!!!! That's all I can say. It's not only very unique fusion of Chinese and Malay, it uses fresh traditional ingredients. I would have ordered more but my stomach protested.

I think you can only find this in Penang. This small temple used to be a salon with the old name of the shop still carved on the pillars.


My team is active again tomorrow till Wednesday, which means we're accepting every new admission for trauma orthopaedics. So scared. Wish me luck. I better continue my hibernation tonight.

2 comments:

LavanyaLea said...

yummmmm.... your "breakfast" is a compilation of all my favourite food... cendol... egg tart... arghhh!!! we have nasi ulam too in indonesia and it looks similar to what u have there...

no idea what cincalok is??? haha...

take care noreen, your rotations seem so tough! xxx

LavanyaLea said...

(this is adeline btw)