Friday 3 July 2015

Weekend trip to Penang

The month of June has been crazy. So many events, short trip to Langkawi, AGM to attend, and on the last weekend, my parents came to Penang. I'm skipping the blog entry for Langkawi as there's just too many photos to sort. So, here's the story for our time in Penang.

Nibong Tebal - Chang Kee Seafood Restaurant:
I met my parents at Nibong Tebal for lunch on the Friday that they drove up from KL. This restaurant is very popular and usually you won't be able to get a seat if you arrive after 12.30pm. Luckily, after my GPS sent me to some deserted kampung, made a few u-turns, I managed to arrive at 12pm.

Must try Curry Crab. Its finger licking good. Usually the crabs in Semenanjung isn't as sweet and tasty as the ones in Sabah. However, the cooking style made up for that aspect. Imagine if the cook had fresh crabs from Sabah combined with the delicious curry sauce.....yummy!

 Fish ball soup. Something light to balance the flavourful curry crab.

We then drove to Penang island and went to visit our relatives. Soon, it was time for dinner. Two hourly eating is the norm when we go to Penang.

Wu Jia Zhuang Claypot Prawn Noodle, Jalan Siam
It an air-conditioned restaurant. Suitable for us in this hot weather. There's limited parking so make sure to go at off peak hours. 

 Hokkien Mee aka prawn noodles. Somehow all prawn noodles taste the same to me in Penang. The only unique thing about it is the claypot keeps it hot till the last mouth.

We ordered Lor Bak but it wasn't that special.

My aunt recommended the famous Char Kuey Teow at the end of Jalan Siam, so we decided to take away one portion as we were still full from dinner.

Char Kuey Teow, Jalan Siam 

 This uncle has been frying Kuey Teow for 3 decades. His son is the one in the green T-shirt. Heard that the son tried to take over the business when his dad plan to retire but the business became bad as the taste changed. In the end, the old man had to come out of retirement and the son because sous chef. Place your order with the son as he's in-charge of remember them. We had to wait for half an hour for our takeaway. A frequent customer said that's the average waiting time and it can go up to an hour. Watching him fry the kuey teow, he uses charcoal instead of gas and he fried portion by portion. That explains why it's so delicious.

It is very fragrant with prawns, cockles, egg, lap cheong, spring onion and bean sprout mixed into it. Really worth the wait.

Chowrasta Market
My mum's favourite place to go in the morning when she's in Penang when the shopping malls are still closed. There's a lot of places for nice breakfast too.

 Kuey Teow Teng. The soup looks clear but is very flavourful, the noodles springy and cooked just nice. One thing I noticed is that the prices of food has gone up. It's now minimum of RM4 per portion. Gone were the good old days where you can get a bowl of soup noodles for RM2.80.

 Chee Cheong Fun - the dish in Penang is prepared differently as compared to KL. The major difference is the sauce where it is made from prawn paste whereas in KL, the sauce is made from beans. I like both version. My dad said the Penang version is an acquired taste for some people so I have acquired taste. Hahahhaa.

 
Walking around, I noticed that I was at the ideal height.

After breakfast, my mum said she wanted to find the famous Penang street art as none of us went there before. Following a map taken from the hotel, we went hunting for street art.

Street Art, Lebuh Armenian
We parked our car at the start of Lebuh Armenian. It felt like I've stepped into the 1970s. The shop houses there were so old and small. 

 My mum found her first street art - the boy on chair.

Magic 

The famous kids on bicycle mural 

 The two tourist. Hahahaha. There were many souvenir shops around the area too.


Balik Pulau
It is durian season and Balik Pulau is the place to go for good durian. However, it's not recommended to stop at the stalls along the way as the durians are not as nice and it's the same price as in Balik Pulau town.

My dad surveying the durians 

King of fruits 

This stall had a special device to open durians. Should get it patented 

Red Prawns Durian - I don't know how it got the name but I'm guessing it's because of the red tinge. When choosing durian, go for those which are round in shape so that there's more fruit inside. Durian in the photo is one you should avoid. 

When you go to Balik Pulau, you should eat the Laksa there. There's two types of Laksa, the orginal Penang Laksa and Siam Laksa. I prefer the original one. The Siam one has coconut milk in it so it's more creamy.

That's the end of my Penang entry. Hopefully I'll have time and motivation to start on the next post. It's going to be a long entry.

No comments: