Friday 11 September 2009

Black Country Living Museum

Apologies for the really late entry. Term started but still in holiday mood. So, had a bit of adjustment to do, not only to patterns of sleeping but also to mindset. I'm a final year medical student......that still sounds surreal to me. It is scary to know that I will be solely responsible for patients in less than 12 months. Need to learn as much as possible.

Black Country Living Museum - the best museum I've visited so far. Highly recommended as it appeals to any generation, no matter how young or how old you are.

Frankly speaking, the entrance did not look impressive at all. But wait till you get in there. We used the 2 for 1 offer by London Midlands, and I think it came up to less than 7 pounds each. Totally worth it.

That weekend was the only time they start up the world's first steam engine. It was impressive. I never imagined that we got to see it that up close, feeling the radiation of the heat and smelling the smoke from the burning coals.


A video of the steam engine in action.

Next was lunch. We went to the famous Hobbs Fish and Chip Shop dating all the way back to the 1930s and had the traditional fish cooked in beef dripping, and chips with a dash of salt and vinegar. There were pickled eggs and onions too.

Black country was all about coal mining. It was this industry that brought this place consisting of Dudley, Sandwell, Walsall, and Wolverhampton its industrial revolution. No doubt transportation was important at that point in time. We got to take the old double-decker bus within the museum, which was really cool.

There were functional trams which you could catch. All the buildings there were all original historical buildings from around Black Country, transported and restored at this open air museum. It seemed like I was transported back in time with people dressed in the olden days clothings explaining how life went about in the past.

There were so many cute little shops selling all sorts of things. I really like looking at these really old things and realise how good the quality of the products were as compared to the normal pvc packaging we get today.

From all sorts of perfumes to shavers. I heard many comments from the older visitors that they use to see their parents use the products or even used it themselves when they were younger.

Live street performance. One reason why I'm glad that I'm a girl. Won't get kissed by any of them. Hahaha.

Notice the 'toilet paper'? Wonder what's the date on it. At least it is the water flush system.

Old school where you can attend lessons teaching you 12 inches - 1 foot, 4 poles - 1 chain, everything except the metric system.

The worker's institute. How old is that telephone?

There was a canal tunnel trip which you have to pay extra for it. We would have went for it if we had more time and money.

The cleanest pig I've seen and the biggest horse too.

There was a really old funfair. I tried the fortune telling machine, inserted 20p but no fortune came out. Looked closer, there was a small piece of fortune displayed on the palm of the mannequin. Felt so cheated.
Gas anyone?

This was the highlight of the place - The underground mine tour. We really got to go underground. I don't know how deep did we go but I felt the temperature difference. It was cold down there. They made us wear helmets and go in small group with a torch each. Down there, they explained how coal was mined. Too bad photography wasn't allowed. Even if it was, I wouldn't be able to take any photo in that pitch black tunnel.
Finally, we made our way back to Birmingham to catch our train back. Goodbye Black Country. May I step foot there again.

Waiting for the train

Are you sure that's the wheelchair access?

I really did enjoy myself that day with all the live demonstrations, descriptions about the past, soundless cinema, etc. It was weird that this place hasn't been advertise that much. I only found out about it while surfing for the offer by London Midland for Cadbury Chocolate Factory. Would love to bring my parents there one day.

Why are holidays so short? Why???

No comments: