Saturday 19 September 2009

UK food diary

As the title suggests, please proceed when you're prepared to feel the hunger cause it will make you hungry!

Pizzahut, Birmingham:

It's been ages since I last step foot into Pizzahut. I was quite glad that Yy suggested that we dined there. We seriously stuffed ourselves with the whole 3 course meal and it wasn't expensive. The pizza was still as good as how I remember it.

Malaysian Delight, Birmingham:

Firstly, I want to say that this restaurant is overrated. Truthfully, if it was not recommended by so many people, I would have had a really nice dining experience. But sadly, my judgement was clouded by so many good reviews from friends and I left really disappointed.

I had Milo ice, which was really diluted. I complained about it but nothing was done. Oh well, that's how Malaysians are like. I ordered Asam Laksa which is usually cooked with ikan kembung, but they substituted it with sardines instead. I guess we can't get fresh ikan kembung here. But overall, the laksa was quite authentic from the pineapple slices to the mint. Taste was not bad too. I guess it's just me expecting too high a standard.

Y3 had Cantonese stir-fried noodles, which she complained that the sauce wasn't think enough. Yy had Curry Mee which she said the noodles were too soggy. Hmmm, so it wasn't just me who was dissatisfied with the food. Between the 3 of us, we ordered seafood claypot, where we found the chinese cabbage to taste bitter. Wonder if they washed the insecticide off properly before cooking. Hmmmmmm...... Would I recomend this restaurant? Maybe cause there's a lot of choices from the menu. Just don't switch on the critic mode.

Keropok
Come to think of it, I think it has been years since I last ate keropok (prawn crackers). I was amused that Yy was so bewilded by how the keropok expanded and changed shape when I was frying them. Hahahaha. I made steamed egg as well, which turned out well despite the wrong proportion of egg to water. The photo on the upper right corner was our most healthy meal during our time at Preston.

Starbucks, Preston:

This is the life, having a nice mug of hot chocolate and a big slice of cheesecake while reading a brand new book without having to purchase it. It was weird how I picked a book which I thought I would never buy as it didn't look attractive in the first place only to finish the whole book and learnt a lot from it. Highly recommended: The Top 10 habits of Millionaires.
So Noodle Bar, Preston:

I had ngau ngam min (Spicy Beef noodles) which I really enjoyed. They gave us the biggest spoon ever. It was practicaly a small laddle. Other food were grilled eel and vegetarian tempura.
Try Thai, Manchester:

This is the most affordable restaurant that I've eaten at in the UK so far. Not only was the 6.75 pounds for a 3 course meal, the portion was huge and taste was not bad, provided that you like sweet stuff. Starters: Honey Roasted Pork Ribs, Tom Yam soup and Vegetable tempura. They were delicious.

From Pad Thai, Stir-fry Beef to Chicken curry. I thought that the food was really sweet. Everything tasted sweet. Maybe I wasn't used to Thai food. The portion was huge as well, and I ended up eating the most. Haih....no wonder I gained weight over the summer.

I was so sad that they only had Vanilla ice-creams. So, for my last course, I had English tea only while envying the other 2 with their ice-creams.

The Slug and Lettuce, Liverpool:

We went there to try out the food as I had a 40% discount voucher. I shared the large platter with another person and I thought the cook was a bit too enthusiastic that he set the fire too high. There were a lot of burnt bits. To finish off, I had Salmon Tagliatelle which I thought was a bit plain. If not for the voucher, our meal would have turned out to be really expensive.
Sefton Park Food Festival, Liverpool:

This was last Sunday. We had to take a cab there was it was quite a distance away. Quite a number of restaurants set up stalls there to promote their food. It was very happening as there was a huge crowd and the weather was perfect. We started with Siu Mai first, which was not bad.

From assorted nuts to Thai food. We were spoilt for choice. I got a free sample of pineapple and mint drink. Very different but not bad.

Most of us had Takoyaki and sushi from one of the stalls. I felt very fortunate to be able to enjoy such diverse food even thought I'm so far away from home. We were entertained by life performances while we enjoyed our food and the hot sun. I guess I'll really miss the sun soon as winter is approaching.

That's my longest food entry. Hope that you are not feeling too hungry at this point, cause I am.

1 comment:

h.3.l.3.n said...

that IS a lot of food! is it over a course of 2weeks or sth? try thai manchester is good, i wud say!

i must say, u r being a really good todai!!!!