Monday 29 March 2010

Busy weekend

I attended the forum organised by UKEC which explored briefly on the issue of brain drain in Malaysia. 1.5 hours of discussion clearly wasn't enough for this huge topic but I thoroughly enjoyed myself and I learned more about the situation back home.

The poster

3 prominent speakers and a moderator who teased our own opinions on the issue. I was impressed that these speakers actually do know their stuff and the experiences that they have shaping the country.

Dinner was served after. I was starving by then. We had Papadom, Ayam Masak Merah served with Nasi Minyak and Acar. Desserts were Seri Muka, Kuih Ka Sui, fruits and puddings.

Saturday: The visit of PL to Liverpool after 2 long years
Only visitor are motivated enough to climb up the stairs all the way to the 2nd floor to the restaurants at Liverpool One. Did I tell her about the escalator behind the stairs? Hmmm....can't remember.

We had Thai food at Yee Rah, one of the restaurants in Liverpool One.

I had Yee Rah curry with Jasmine Rice whereas PL had Papaya salad. The service was really fast and the food is delicious.

We stopped by Sblended to get a milkshake before PL started her shopping spree. I think F and I just watched her shop in amazement. Hahahah.

While one person had bags and bags of goods, the other 2 had pictures and pictures of random things.

We chilled out at Brew tea bar and lounge after a hard day work at shopping. Hehehehe. I had Raspberry Ripple tea which tasted really good and it was soothing at the same time. The cakes there were delicious too. Maybe the closest thing to a mamak stall in the UK.

Right after we've finished our tea, we headed straight to Big Bowl Noodle, a new Chinese restaurant very near the Chinatown arch to meet up with L to have dinner. The food there is not bad and the portions were huge! I couldn't finish my Wanton Ho Fun cause of the tea I had previously. There's Curry Laksa which was quite spicy and other stir fry options too.

Sunday: Change of plans

The main purpose of PL's visit this time was actually to go for afternoon tea at Leaf Tea Shop & Bar as it was voted as one of the top 10 tea houses in the UK. But, but, but.....haih....I didn't realise that prior bookings was essential. I did try booking 2 hours prior to departing but minimum booking is 1 day in advance. Oh well, maybe we were not at a high enough class to enjoy afternoon tea just yet. At least Manchester is not that far away. PL, you must come again and I'll book this place 1 week in advance next time.

Our plan B turned out to be really good in the end. We had a 3 course meal at Bistro Jacques which is an authentic French restaurant off Hardman Street. I'm definitely bringing my parents here!
They have a different set of lunch menu everyday which makes everyday unique! It was very affordable too. Just less than 8 pounds.

Starter of soups and scampi salad. I loved the salad. It was really fresh.

 I loved the decorations in the restaurant. It has that French feel to it.

Main course - grilled bacon, seabass and chicken served with a heap of roasted vegetables. Very healthy for an eat out meal. The bacon was a bit salty but if it was ate with the potatoe mash, it was just right.

Our favourite order - Desserts. From Tarte de Chocolate, Tiramisu to Creme Brulee. There's always room for desserts.

Poor PL, shortly after lunch, I handed her over to M and rushed off to fetch another 9 tourists visiting Liverpool and staying at my place. By the time I got back to meet her here, it was already quite late.

Therefore, I made it up to her by taking photos and photos of her around Albert Dock. This place changed so much from 1st year.

Model for the day

And of course the person taking the photos is the professional photographer for the day. Hahahaha.

This shot was taken by my assistant photographer, M.

If anyone was wondering where is the ferries wheel now, it's near the Echo arena.

Starbucks at Beatles Story Shop. I didn't realise how spacious and comfortable the shop was in the basement as I had never visited it.

Liverpool One in the 2010s.

Thank you PL for visiting. Hopefully you had a great time here. Do come back for afternoon tea sometime soon and enjoy your Easter holidays while I envy you here.

Interview on Wednesday!!!! How, how, how? Sleep first, worry later. Now to start writing up my cases.



2 comments:

h.3.l.3.n said...

wow so food filled!!! i also wantttt!!! afternoon tea!!!

Windchaser said...

come to liverpool to visit me with pei lian. then we can go to this place together.