Wednesday 10 March 2010

Choosing my path

It's been 24 years down this challenging trail, going through all the ups and downs. One day, I stumbled upon this small little side road with a sign post pointing towards 'Alternate Path', too eye-catching to be missed, anticipated yet avoided as much as possible. It had appeared too soon, far too soon.

I wished I could see what future each path held, wished that I could compared the two, wished that my heart wouldn't be so weighed down by this life changing decision that I have to make now. It's too early, too early for this important decision. Will I be happier if I strayed and followed this small little path? Will I regret if I stayed on the main path? To answer the first question, I would have to first define what is happiness to me, which till now, is still intangible. To answer the second would be more difficult as the grass is always greener on the other side. Better be contented with what I have now. Maybe regret once in a while.

In the end, I chose to stay on the main path. To continue on even though I foresee difficult times ahead. Well, no one can guarantee that the little alternate path wouldn't contain difficulties. The moment I passed this little path, persevering on as the distance grew between us, a huge weight lifted, my heart felt lighter, those sleepless nights thinking of the decisions, those times that I tried weighing up the potential future of both, those long discussions with others, the persuasions and advices of many.....Haih, how much have I bore them? How many times have I changed my mind?

At least the decision has been made. Another part of the world is waiting for me.

Now, in preparation to search for my meaning of happiness, let me first revisit my castle in the sky and recall those childhood dreams.

No comments: