Monday 11 July 2011

4am - the most dangerous time of the day

Yup, I somehow is still surviving this inhumane 36+ hours oncall system and yesterday, the worst thing happened to me, or should I say, the innocent ECG machine.

I don't get it. I've already assessed the patient and deemed that he just needed some chest physiotherapy and suction to help with his breathing and as soon as I stepped into the oncall room for less than 2 minutes, the nurse calls me saying that MO's orders were to take an ABG, order chest xray and do an ECG for the same patient. Ok, ABG was fine, at least I was successful at the first attempt.

ECG was another issue. I just don't understand why on earth that house officers at UMMC are made to do ECGs for patients. This is damn stupid. As if the machine could electrocute the patient or something. Well, the ECG machine was more dangerous than it seemed. It has the potential to fracture a bone or two.

I was waiting for the ECG machine to print, but then somehow, it's ink finished and I couldn't get a clear picture. So, I politely asked the nurse if they could get another ECG machine which was returned by verbal directions to where the other ECG machine was hidden. Ok, fine, I had to go find the machine myself.

First warning sign that something was about to happen...... I started wheeling it and the extension plug resting on the wall dropped. So, I unplugged it and started moving it again.........

This time, the whole machine came crashing down while doing a somersault in mid air just before it landed a few millimeters from my foot with a big 'thud' as there was another power cable connected to another power point which I'd didn't realise after removing the first one at 4am in the morning.

Yes, it died and was beyond salvageable and at that point in time, I just couldn't be bothered. I think I woke the whole ward up and nurses were threatening me that I needed to pay compensation for it. Whatever......I'd never learned how to handle ECG machines gently plus is it our job to do ECGs? This is just ridiculous. What a waste of resources and I've caused more wastage.

Never get a doctor for whatever reasons at inhumane hours of the night. We pose a dangerous threat not only to the patients but also to ourselves. Why do doctors need to work inhumane hours for the benefit of mankind? Aren't we humans too? If someone starts collecting data on the number and types of mistakes made by doctors working inhumane hours, it will be appalling.

I'm still wondering if I have the right to refuse to manually ventilate a patient in the CT scan room as I'm unhappy with the amount of radiation that I'm exposed to. Well, I don't even have the basic human right to practice safe working hours, what more avoidance of risks of cancer. Can we get compensated if we develop brain tumours or Alzheimers in future? Who knows what are the long term effects of constant exposure of high doses of xrays. My memory is getting poorer, thanks to the constant dying brain cells and mutations from all those beams.

I hate doing ECGs. I hate giving IV drugs. I feel that we should be learning more to be doctors rather than doing jobs which doesn't require 5 years of medical training to carry out. I rather learn when is appropriate to order ECG and then interpret that ECG.

When will be the time where all Malaysian doctors practice safe working hours? When will be the time where people start making changes for the better of the future generation rather than using examples from the 'good old days' to shut us up?

1 comment:

Yee Yen said...

You have to do ECG and give IV drugs yourself in UMMC? that's ridiculous! Yes, I do think that we are so preoccupied with during menial jobs like these that we are being denied the opportunity to be learning the real things that they want us to do in our log books. And even the staff nurses and PK can order us around as if they are our bosses. And when we ask them to do something for us (nicely, out of politeness) they think we are scared of them and take it as a sign that they are more superior. I'm a third poster now and I am much less tolerant to shit treatment like these. I often 'educate' people on what we are here for and will go out of my way to fight for opportunity to learn and do procedures. No one gives a damm to the poor house officers and we have to fend for ourselves. Toughen up!