Saturday 6 August 2011

Finally, the start of the shift system

Last Friday, our team leader gathered some of us to decide on the working hours that we would like to be implemented when the shift system officially starts in September. Hooray!!! Finally, after all that complaint and sufferings we went through. We'll officially be humans working as doctors and not robots.

One major issue faced in UMMC is that we have not enough manpower for the shift system to go smoothly. It'll be so unfair if we were forced to do double shifts and not get paid overtime or oncall allowance due to lack of houseman. Each rotation will require at least 15 more houseman for this to go smoothly, that's not even taking into consideration if some had to take emergency leave or would like to go on annual leave. I seriously don't know how will it go. It's going to be chaotic for the first few weeks, but hopefully things will fall into place.

Another issue that I'm worried is that colleagues from the previous shift will pass over a mountain of work to the next houseman taking over due to laziness, incompetency, you name it. With the current oncall system, we're still facing it, so, I don't think there'll be any difference.

At the moment, I'm losing motivation to work. I'm not as enthusiastic, not as keen, not as generous as I would like myself to be, as there are colleagues who get away with such irresponsibility and both of us still get the same pay. So, why should I do more increasing my chances of making mistakes in the process and risk more lives? I hate people who are already so slow, lazy and good in skiving but is still so calculative. Maybe I should start being as calculative. I am going to be a lazy and stupid houseman from now on thus ending up with less responsibilities and life will be peaceful.

2 comments:

zdrasvui said...

hi!! i enjoy reading ur blog.. how can i contact you? i would like to ask about housemanship :). do u have a facebook account? or an email address? thnks!!

pp said...

Haih.. yeah.. here even worse, our department divided into so many loose wards.. all scattered around kk.. definitely not enuf manpower.. there is only 2 now in my ward.. if reeli to do shift system, haha.. 1 morning 1 night. jus like eod calls..haha..