Friday 18 January 2008

To continue chasing this dream or give up?


Recently, there was an advertisement on a Japan exchange programme for 2 Liverpool students to conduct their electives in Japan with all expenses paid for. It is really tempting and since coming across this advert, I kept on day dreaming about it.

It will be conducted where 2 Japanese students will act as hosts during the 4 weeks of electives in Japan in the month of July, and they will follow you back to Liverpool for their 4 weeks of electives in August where you will act as their host.

I mean, I wouldn't mind bringing them around UK as I am keen on exploring the country myself. I am so curious about Japan too as I haven't been there before. Plus, I'm really into anime, Japanese movies, etc. Hear and seen so much from the media but to be there yourself, what a new experience it will be.

The dilemma is, I haven't been back last summer, and I will be away from home for 2 years this coming summer. Do I miss home? Hmmmm....difficult question.

Come to think of it, would the Japanese student want a Malaysian to bring them around UK? With the language barrier, will I be able to do much over in Japan? Most importantly, am I wasting my time putting in effort in applying for this?

Haven't been to Japan. I was actually at Japan Fair in Manchester last year with Pei Lian

I was on the verge of giving up after considering all these factors last night. But my heart still didn't want to give up. So, I dropped by the Division of Haematology this afternoon after meeting my convenor for SSM5 to enquire about the application.

My hope lifted when the lady in-charge of advertising told me that she didn't see why can't International students apply for this as well. The documents which I need to submit were just a covering letter and my CV. Later on, the selected applicants will be called for an interview.

This got me thinking really hard. I was happy that there was a chance, even if it was a slight one that I might get it. However, if I really did, then I don't know when will I be able to see my family, when will I get to eat Malaysia food, when will I be able to get pampered at home, the list just goes on. There will be problems of accommodation in August, when I get back, will I be able to survive in a place where I cannot really communicate easily for 4 weeks? Am I capable of becoming a good host?

So many things to think, so many dreams to dream about as well. Should I chase this dream? Or should I just give up? I think for the time being, let me sleep first, think later.

6 comments:

h.3.l.3.n said...

do what u want to do...if not u wud only regret it later and fill ur mind with What IF WHat IF..

h.3.l.3.n said...

opportunity knocks once..

Grace said...

do you desperately miss home to the point of being sick?
i suppose u already applied for it ( if u haven't then u shud).. so for now just wait for interview. If you get it then only worry - saves you needless anxiety.
as for missing home, u cud go back christmas break.. though it isnt a long break but i think even a week cures the homesick feeling and tht makes the money all worth it.
but that said : if u dont get the japan thing, dont feel bad about it.. probably God's will to let you go home . japan exchange might come again next yr

Windchaser said...

waaah...i'm touched. got so much support from you all. i think i'll try my luck. just send in the application and will see how it goes. thanks for the encouragements.

Sakura said...

noreen! you should go! -ernie-

h.3.l.3.n said...

chase ur dream!!! at least u have a dream!