Saturday 10 May 2008

Sometimes, smaller is better

I came across this article concerning the association of breast size and diabetes after reading Student BMJ. I know, I know, I'm turning into a very boring person who reads about medicine even in my spare time. Actually I was too lazy to revise and in order to not feel guilty, I started reading Student BMJ magazines which I've only collected but not read for the past 3 years.

Researches have found that a large bra cup size at age 20 predicts a high risk of diabetes in middle age.

Finally, a good reason for girls to be happy with smaller breasts.

Why?

Overweight girls tend to reach puberty earlier and develop bigger breasts and obesity is an established risk factor for diabetes mellitus type II, and other reasons which I'm too lazy to mention here.

However, Body Mass Index (BMI) and greater waist circumference are still stronger predictors.

The age-adjusted risk ratios of developing diabetes type II in relative to bra cup size ≤ A:

B cup = 2.30 times higher risk
C cup = 4.32
≥ D cup = 4.99

The risk doubles with bra cup size! Quite scary.

P.s.
These ration did not take into account waist circumference, physical activity, smoking status, family history, BMI, etc. Refer to the article for more information. The article even tells you how to determine the bra cup size.


Too bad for the guys cause you've missed the opportunity to participate in the data collection for this research. Hehe... Now I wonder if the male species will still place big breasts as one of the top criteria in grading a girl's attractiveness.

Health over attractiveness, which one will you choose?

3 comments:

Sakura said...

LOL ^_^ my friend will be happy to hear this

h.3.l.3.n said...

i m so happy tooo.. haha

Windchaser said...

haha. glad that this post made someone happy.