Friday 16 May 2008

Super short concentration

I don't know why am I always faced by this problem. My concentration span is so short that after reading for 10 minutes, my mind will either wander elsewhere or I will start on something else.

An example of a scenario that happened 2 days ago:

I was supposed to revise for OSCE before my drop-in session the next morning. Took out the OSCE booklets, even opened the page on obstetric palpation. The next thing I did was, reached out for my medical ethics book as I remembered that I should start revising for ethics as well.

I was reading on consent for children when I remembered the question on whether the 4 medical principles are prima facie or not. That came up in 1st year. I couldn't even remember what prima facie meant. Went to surf the net for answers.

At least I found what prima facie meant. I means the principle is binding unless it conflicts with another moral principles. In other words, the 4 principles are prima facie.

After that, the EMQ question book caught my attention. Why not do a few questions. At that time, my table was piled with 3 layers of material, lowest being my OSCE stuff, followed by ethics book and now EMQ. Came across the question on menopause. Decided to read up on it.

Took out my Gynaecology book (4th layer), and then the last section on the types of gynaecological procedure caught my eye. So, I started reading about it. Finally, I remembered about menopause and turned to the page to read up on it. While reading halfway I suddenly realised it was getting late already and I still haven't started on OSCE yet, which is supposed to be my main priority for the night.

Finally, I kept all the books away and started my OSCE revision. It got boring halfway and I was reminded that I haven't brushed my teeth yet. After brushing, I felt even sleepier. So, I decided to retire to bed and maybe cram as much as possible in the morning.

Woken up by my alarm clock but I don't know if I should thank or curse the person who invented the snooze button. Pressed it a googolplex of times until my conscience got the better of my laziness.

(In case you didn't know what is 1 googolplex, it's 10(10100) =1010,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, continue next line
000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000)
Imagine, there's not even enough space to write the zeros in 1 line! Wikipedia link on the definition here so that you know I'm not just pulling your leg.

See, I even start diverting while writing this blog entry. It's not even centred on what googolplex is.

When I finally jumped out of bed, there wasn't anymore time to revise! Ate a quick breakfast and off I went to my drop-in session. So much for trying to revise and getting distracted by so many things.

I'm always like this with everything else, even blogging. Sometimes, I wanted to add a picture into an entry and end up laughing and looking through the related albums and branch off to the unrelated ones as well.

I know I'm hopeless. It is always a miracle when I complete something therefore, miracles do happen in my life. Good reason to feel happy once a while.

P.s.
I'm sorry to cause some concerns about my previous post. I'm fine, you all don't have to worry about me at all. But thank you to those who MSN-ed me asking if I was all right. It's just that I have this thing about writing these nonsense when I get inspired by something. Plus for the last entry, I could even try acting out the emotions felt by the character and cam whore a bit followed by experimenting with Photoshop. Very soon, I want to direct my own video or something already. Hehehehe..... Wait, I'm supposed to be studying medicine and here I'm fantasizing about film making. Nooooooo......, don't let my short concentration affect my career choice as well! Wait, I did complete a poem, took photos, and even photoshop. A miracle has happened! (You all must be thinking that this person is crazy)


I hope that each of you can find something in life, no matter how small or trivial or stupid it is to be considered as your own miracle. A dose of happiness, no matter how small they are do make a difference. (One of them being that you'll be a step closer to turning into the crazy person above)

Now, to cut down from 4 layers to 3 tonight!

No comments: