Saturday 13 September 2008

Some things just cannot be mentioned

"Malaysians of Chinese origin are merely squatting in this country and hence not entitled to equality".
-statement by Datuk Ahmad Ismail

Reading from a 16-page statement, Ahmad, who was surrounded by more than 150 party supporters and state leaders, admitted that he did utter the words but stressed that they were taken out of context by the reporter.

"I said them in relation to the country's history during pre-Merdeka days. I explained how the Chinese, Indians and Malays were treated by the British.

"Yes, I did mention that the Chinese were immigrants. No one can deny that fact.

"Firstly, I want you to know that I am not a racist.

"I have many Chinese and Indian friends. I have no problems with them. I have mixed with the Chinese community since my childhood.

"I am not going to apologise as I do not owe any apology to anyone on this issue. I have done nothing wrong," he said.

The above were taken from New Straits Times website.

Below are my own opinion and may not be 100% accurate.

I was extremely shocked when I came across this news. Of course, the first thought which came to my mind was, 'How can any minister make this type of comment? On top of that, he's a minister!'

As a Malaysian, I am deeply sadden by this incident. One should know better to avoid making these types of statement even if you didn't mean it in that direct sense. Talk to any Malaysians and you'll definitely find out that we've been brought up to respect each other regardless of race or religion. We practice that by firstly, not making any racial statements or doing anything which can ruin the peace and harmony our forefathers have strive so hard to achieve. Datuk Ahmad Ismail should have known better and tackle the issue of the history of immigration during the British rule in a more professional manner, if his claims were true.

Once the harm is done, it's done. There's not taking back your words, the hurt has been inflicted, and yet he's not acting like a gentleman, refusing to give a sincere apology. What I find some times is that, even if you feel that you're not in the wrong, the situation will be better if you apologize first to calm the other party down. This may be wrong in the context of going to trial in a court as you'll be admitting that you've committed the crime. However, this involves the emotions of the people.

Even if he really didn't mean it in that racist sense, again, he should have known better to even construct sentences which could cause a racial uproar and misunderstandings. I believe that if there is no truth, there wouldn't be anything for the journalists to create any stories. Plus, I believe that journalists have a code which they swore by, and one of them was to report the truth of what has happened.

Coming to the news of the arrest of famous bloggers and newspaper journalists under the Internal Security Act (ISA). They were all accused of creating national instability through their reporting and writings. I feel that Datuk Ahmad has done the same, except for the size of the impact he has caused the nation. His punishment, suspension from the political party for 3 years. Any bystanders would feel the unfairness in treatment to them as compared to Datuk Ahmad.

I am only left with a taste of bitterness from this incident. I will refrain from writing anything more in fear of getting the same fate of these bloggers and journalists. Who can we blame for the brain drain happening to Malaysia but the political situation in our country? Sometimes, I get the feeling as though I'm not considered as one of the 'true' Malaysians.

Was there ever a freedom of speech? Maybe when you're not a Malaysian.

No comments: