Monday 3 May 2010

Shakespeare's Birthday

I had to drag myself out of bed for this day trip to Stratford-upon-Avon to visit Shakespeare's birthday and also to celebrate his birthday. Well, he's supposed to be celebrating his 446th birthday anniversay.

We arrived just in time to catch the visitor's procession at Henley Street.
From Belly dancers, drums, scouts to gigantic fairies. The parade was really colourful and there were so many people. They will be walking towards the Holy Trinity Church where his grave lies and place flowers on it.

Trying to find a spot

Finally, they opened the roads after the end of the procession.

Street artist dressed as William Shakespeare.

The house where he was born and raised in.

Will I be more literature inclined after visiting his home? Hmmmm. We saw the bedroom where his mother gave birth to him, his father's glove workshop, the very living room where he spent his childhood playing. I liked the unique architecture of the buildings which looked like they've sprung out of story books.

Modern art

The one and only William Shakespeare.

This was the kitchen of his house. I was amazed by how real the duck on the table looked.

Not only was the house beautiful, the garden around it was in full bloom too.

Walking towards New Place

A bust of Shakespeare

The New Place was Shakespeare's last home before he died in 1616. The house was the second biggest building in Stratford at that time and was the only one made from bricks.

Hall's Croft - This house belonged to Shakespeare's eldest daughter, Susanna, where she stayed with her husband, who was a famous physician. He even published a few medical books.

Imagine having tea in the past wearing all that elegant long dresses and hats.

We were so lucky to be able to get this group photo with the actors and actresses.

Unexpectedly, they suddenly rushed into the garden reciting 'To be or not to be, that is the question.' I couldn't really understand the traditional English but enjoyed myself nevertheless.

Sunny day, beautiful gardens, good company. What more can I ask for?

Group picture thanks to A's tripod.

Picture outside Hall's Croft.

The Holy Trinity Church.
I didn't have time to go in and there was a queue and a fee of 50p to visit his grave. Photo taken from here.

Brass Rubbing Centre - you can start rubbing colours onto a piece of paper positioned on the patterned brass for a small fee. Reminded me so much of the sort of things I use to do at museums when I was younger.

River Avon

I think the swans look delicious to some.

Live performances

Does this remind you of Amsterdam?

This old chain ferry was so unique. Everyone will get on and the conductor will start turning the metal wheel on the side and the whole boat will move. Interesting.

Relaxing in the gardens

Metal waterfall of swans

A beautiful poster of performers

Statues of prominent characters from play and William Shakespeare himself.

Finally, this is the end of my reflection week. I was really tired by the end of it and was happy to start my hibernation. I hope that you've enjoyed reading my entries. Take care and good luck to all that are preparing for exams.

Next up: Food, food and more food. Hahahaha.

No comments: