Thursday 10 June 2010

After all these years, I'm leaving with a bad experience

Warning! A lot of grumbling and complaining ahead

I've been staying at St Andrews Gardens for the last 2 years of my student life in Liverpool. The reason that I chose this place in the first place was because of the good location (my bus stop for my hospitals are just across the road) and good reviews from friends who have been staying there for more than 3 years.

I loved the place. Not only I had good memories of the times we had open house for Hari Raya, the bbqs on the patch of green in the middle of the semi-circular building. The friendly and helpful staff who makes the effort to know you added the finishing touches.

Then, the recession came in last year. St Andrews Gardens was bought over by Mansion Properties. That was shortly after we've moved in at the beginning of our new contract.

Here lies the problem. The new management is trying to squeeze as much profit or cut as much losses from the existing tenants who has already paid and signed the contract. They can't change the rental fees so they do that by cutting down on essential maintenance even though we've paid our rent, some of us in full.

The lifts which were used to be repaired within a week at most when they broke down stopped totally. We've been climbing the stairs for almost a year now. That wasn't too bad as we were just carrying our body weight up. The thing is, they are making everyone move out at the end of the contract, without even considering our constant pleas to repair the lifts for just a day so that we can move out!

I've just moved my boxes for shipping from the 4th floor down via stairs which is just ridiculous! I don't understand why do they want to delay replacing the lifts earlier on as they will have to repair the lifts at some point. It's not like they're going to disrupt current tenants by repairing lifts as we are not even using them! They're going to renovate the whole place in preparation for the new term so that they can increase the rent, but the builders will definitely need a mode of transportation of heavy items up 5 floors right? Isn't there a possibility of maybe using one of the lifts as a cargo lift? If the current management can treat existing tenants that poorly, I don't think they're any better when the new ones move in. In the process, they're already creating a bad name for themselves as the current tenant, including myself are already discouraging potential tenants from staying here. I'm even blogging about this.

J, one of the porter was kind enough to help me carrry up all the empty shipping boxes which I'd ordered. From that day on, I was already dreading the worse and yet, the worse was not the worst that I'd imagined.

Carrying down the last box, which was the smallest one and one of the lightest, I think I'd become too careless and the lighting at the top flight of stairs wasn't the brightest, I missed the last step and fell spraining my ankle and dropping my box in the process. Haih.....just right after my dad told me to be careful and not hurt myself. I don't know if this is some sort of premonition that he has or something, every time somebody advises you to be careful, something is bound to happen. Papa, sorry for not listening.

I should have retired for the night after carrying those 5 huge boxes to M's flat whose lift was still working so that I wouldn't have to suffer too much tomorrow, rather than stupidly persevering on with the last 2.

I seriously hope that my ankle doesn't swell up tomorrow as I'll need to transport them over to the loading place for shipping. Wish my luck. I still need my ankles for tomorrow.

1 comment:

eric said...

too bad you're not a law student or else u can sue the living shits outta the management :)