Thursday 24 April 2008

Comfort Zone

There are times when I wonder if I would have matured earlier or 'grown up' faster if I were to do my undergraduate degree in Malaysia.

The first thing which came to my mind was driving. I always thought that if I was studying back home, I would have become a steady driver by now. Over here, it's so expensive to get a British driving licence, what more buy a car when the car insurance can be more expensive than the car. If I were in Malaysia, I wouldn't have to worry about all these as I can borrow the family car at any time. It is so different from the situation here as we cannot just simply borrow a car. You have to specifically buy a car insurance to insure a specific driver for a specific car. Renting a car is something I dreamed of doing but dare not take the chance. Sometimes I do regret that I never master my driving skills properly. If I did, I might be more mobile. I am a timid person, which I hate sometimes.
I think I'm only qualified to drive this car
Thinking about financial wise. I have this concept all the while in my head that only working adults dealt with the bank. I used to follow my parents to the bank when they needed to deal with finance. It was only when I came to the UK that I had to open my own bank account, deal with the bank and manage my own finance. What I can say is, money is everything in every part of the globe. Sadly, nobody can live without money. Even if you had tremendous talent or passion for a subject, no university will accept you if you cannot afford it. Some might argue that you can apply for a scholarship. But think about it, a scholarship is also made up of a sum of money and not everyone is lucky enough to obtain one.
Feeling happy and secured in my comfort zone
I guess living away from home, I've taken a really big step to move out of the comfort zone. It was really difficult for me at first, as I wasn't used to worry about the grocery, accommodation, transportation, etc when I was staying at home. It was a luxury having parents to worry about you, take care of you, becoming your chauffeur (or human GPS plus driving instructor), opening a fully stocked fridge at all times, sitting in an air-conditioned car to be chauffeured everywhere, and mostly being pampered at home. Those were the good old days. I guess I might grow up faster in some areas with parental support but I did mature more when I was on my own over here.

I realised that I had to be responsible for every decision I make. Unlike in the past, I could just run back to my parents if anything went wrong. Home is like halfway around the globe now and it will be impossible to 'run back' even if I wanted to. Even if I encountered a financial crisis, I'll have to wait at least 5 working days for my parents to transfer money to me. It's not as easy in the past when I just had to open my mouth to ask and my parents will just give me what I needed right away. Another thing is looking after my own safety. I do sometimes forget that this world is not as safe as it looks on the surface until I encounter some episode which just throws me back into reality along with a harsh reminder. I do miss that comfort zone sometimes but I am glad that breaking out of it has made me a stronger person.
As the saying goes, we depend on family when we're at home but on friends when we're away. I am proud to say that I am lucky to have so many good friends to depend on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehe..yah lo..so hard 2 get car here la..even got car also so hard 2 find parking...


flowermonster

Windchaser said...

now i want a car already!!! i got a lift to go to a few places for GP or community teaching session from my friends, so convenient. but the laziest part is to find parking which most of the time was really expensive and to maintain the car.