Saturday 12 April 2008

Retirement is sweet

I know people who still have that sense of longing when they retire, the reluctance of handing over their position and work to the next generation. But to me, I don't feel any of this at all.

The AGM has just ended and I handed over my secretarial post of Liverpool Malaysian Society to the new committee. The feeling of the heavy burden lifted off my chest was more than sufficient as a reward to all the hard work, worries, frustrations, cutting down on watching Anime and movies, indigestion from late meals followed by immediate bed time to maximize the minutes of sleep I can get, the list goes on.

Thinking back, if I could foresee what I would have to go through before I stood for the secretarial post, I think I would have chickened out straight away without a second thought. I won the election by just 1 vote and sometimes I wished that someone should have changed his/her mind and voted for my competitor instead.

The journey has been a roller coaster. Most of the time was spent struggling to reach the top. There were moments when I was happy when things were going well. There were times that I realised how few friends I had. There were times when I felt motivated by all the support and encouragement given. But most of the times, I was busy worrying and feeling so frustrated over something. Was it worth it? I still cannot decide.

I failed miserably in multi-tasking and balancing my work and play. My results for this year did suffer badly and I am just hoping that I can pass the year. At least from now on, I can concentrate on catching up and focus all energy into studying. In the end, it's still the results that matter most.

I always had this thought behind my head every time I was asked to do society work. No matter how hard you contribute, you can only put a line in your CV saying that you've held this post in Malaysian society. Most of the time, your hard work is not even recognised by members. It's really disheartening that you organise something, or you ask for support and nobody gives you that. You drafted an email in your most sincere thoughts to thank people who has supported you only to let that email be sent in another person's name. Therefore, what's the use of putting in so much effort? But I always end up doing so much as I cannot go against my conscience. So, the cycle starts again with the lack of sleep, lack of food, not doing homework properly...... Some can just do so little and still get the name at the end of the day. Is life unfair? Yes. Was I a stupid fool? Yes. Do I still care about that email? I tried very hard not to, but I still feel sad about it. I wasn't even mentioned in it. This thought will be buried in this entry and forgotten.

I cannot deny that I got something in return. I've learnt that nothing is easy. The experiences of rejection and frustrations have made me a stronger person. I am more confident in dealing with people. I read emails properly now as I know how disappointing it is when people don't give the emails you've written a second glance. I realised how hard it is to get people's support. I know that running a society isn't an easy thing to do.

Now, I can close this chapter of my life and wash my hands clean. I can only give my best wishes to the new committee and hope that they'll fare better. I am still recapping for the 10th time, the moment I handed over that thick folder of document and CD. Retirement is sweet and I can't wait to retire from my medical career even before starting it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like u had a bad experience being a secretary. its just one of those things that life throws at us i guess! must be hard not getting the credit u deserve..but hey, dont worry there are people who do appreciate the effort u've put in..u did a great job :)

-prish-

Windchaser said...

i'm just glad that it's over. thanks for the encouragement.

pp said...

ya..can see that u r very bz with all ur msoc stuffs..hapi for u that its over..good thing is at least u have something to look back to and remember...this is the best moment..good luck in studies..