Monday 28 April 2008

Up, Down, Up, Middle

I know this is a very weird title but it summarised my feelings from Saturday up until Monday evening.

Saturday morning
I went for the Pituitary Group communication skills session. What I can say is, this is the best communication skills session which I've attended so far. It was so informative and helpful talking to the actual patients themselves, finding out what their main concerns were and what they wanted from doctors. I was really thankful to their willingness to recall the painful memories of finding out their disease and treatments which they went through. They were simply awesome.

Reached home, friends had already gathered at my place to help with marinating the chicken for the BBQ on Sunday. I know, I've just had a BBQ at Preston a week before and now another one.

Sunday
Woke up on Sunday and was greeted by the never ending rain. How to BBQ??? Luckily, rain paused for a few hours from 1pm till about 2 something.

Experience of setting up the BBQ set:

We bought 2 metal BBQ set which we needed to set up using the screws and bolts provided without screw driver. From this experience, I can no longer assume that guys are good with setting things up. Now I'm wondering if any of them ever played with model aeroplanes or cars before. I know I loved playing with Lego last time.

It was so difficult lighting up the charcoal. Now I regretted not learning from my friends in Preston. We also realised that none of us were scouts before. In the end. it took us about 2 hours before we got down to cooking any food at all.

My pose here is the most natural among the 4. Why? Because I wasn't even aware that they were posing there and taking photos. Too much lah these people, never tell me anything. (But they must be thinking 'Eh, why did this girl suddenly appear in the picture?')
Each piece of chicken or burger was tagged with someone's name on Facebook. Is this a growing trend?

By the time we managed to get 3 BBQ sets working, the sky became unkind to us and started raining cats and dogs. Luckily, one of our friends offered his house which was just next to the park to continue our BBQ using the civilised way - Grill.

However, while others were busy abandoning ship, scrambling and carrying all the food and equipment to his house, my group persevered and stayed on barbecuing the hamburger and chicken under my umbrella. You might think what is the whole point behind this, but then you can never understand how delicious the food you barbecued under the rain with extra marination with special herbs (not parsley or basil but normal grass) tasted so much better.

The survivors

Finally, all of us moved to the house after eating the final piece of chicken which we had as all the food were moved to the house earlier on, or else, we'll still be happily barbecuing in the rain.

Had sandwiches, grilled chicken and a slice of really delicious cheesecake (V's 2nd attempt at making). V, it was really delicious, you just need to work on presentation. You can invite me if you need someone to help you taste or give comments.

Sorry no photos as I was busy grilling chicken, eating and also being entertained by a bunch of crazy 1st and 2nd year Medic students. I can only say that they're a group of very sick people. (Anyone who wants to find out what type of sick scenes they were acting out, just contact me and I'll send you the file personally. Beforehand, please provide proof that you're over 18 years of age.)

Monday
I was getting all stressed out about the progress of my essay, losing inspiration, motivation and concentration to finish my first draft by Friday. Stress, pressure, tension, depression, you name it.

I am usually a very patient person, but today, this person just had to step on my tail at the wrong time. I was truly disappointed when this new committee's VP called to tell me that nobody was going for the End of Year Award Giving Ceremony later that evening. He then said the reason that he's not going was because he needs to study after trying to get through to my phone 3 - 4 times while I was in a lecture. To add salt to a wound, he said this event was meant for the old committee and it did not concern the new committee.

Ok, he needs to study but the way he said it was as if I didn't have to! And why does he need to make sure that he got hold of me to tell me that no one else was going and implied that I had to go? It would be so much better if you've came up with a better excuse or not calling me at all. I was so angry at that time that I almost cancelled my plan of attending that evening.

In the end, only B and I showed up for the event. So sad! This event was meant for all the past and present committee members. All these people are just too much. Not supportive at all. Why is it so difficult to even take out 1 hour to attend something which was organised to show appreciation to the hard work which you have or going to put in for the society? I looked jealously at others who turned up in big groups happily chatting away and giving loud applauses whenever their society won a prize.

Unexpectedly, Liverpool Malaysian Society won the Best Celebrating Culture Award for 2007/08. I was shocked. Never in my life expected this to happen.

Ex-boss's speech at the Award:


We got a certificate and 75 pounds credited into our account at the Guild of Students. Too bad they didn't give us cash, if not, it will be 50:50 between B and I.
I seriously hope that the support and commitment shown by the new committee will be much better than the previous batch. Last year at the same award, there were 3 who turned up and this year it was reduced to 2 person. Now, I wonder if there will only be 1 or 10 next year.

No comments: