Monday 28 July 2008

Malaysian Food Diary

Warning to whoever may be homesick after looking at all the photos of delicious Malaysian food which I've tasted from this point onwards. I will start with the non-Malaysian food first for those who accidentally scrolled down.

French Cuisine:

My flatmate made this for me and she even gave me the recipe for it. So nice of her. Came back to Malaysia and the first dish I cooked for my parents was:
Salmon marinated with Chives and Mango then fried on low fire with olive oil.
This Mango salad got the same response from both my parents as mine. I was totally shocked when L mixed raw spring onions with olive oil and pepper into the freshly cut mango. However, after tasting it, it turned out to be delicious! This was the worst culture shock I'd experienced so far.

Western Cuisine:

Malaysian-ised Chicken Chop at Kluang Station restaurant. The sauce was slightly spicy to cater for the Malaysian taste buds.

Kenny Rogers. To my disappointment, every thing shrunk on portion. Even the chicken was smaller! The taste was however, still the same standard.

Japanese Cuisine:
Ate at Sushi King and I ordered Ramen. Not bad at all.
Saw this square watermelon at KLCC. Too bad it's not for sale
Japanese desserts....just joking. They're actually erasers
Malaysian Food!!!!

As most Malaysians have heard about it, our ex-prime minister, Tun Dr. Mahathir opened a new bakery at the new posh shopping centre called The Loaf:

From the outside

From the inside
Pastries sold there were more expensive than usual, the staffs were more courteous, the environment was less crowded and more peaceful. I didn't buy anything so no feedback from me.

Next weird experience was coming across a selection of cigarettes on a proper restaurant menu.
Nice proper looking menu. I ordered Luo Mee which will be shown later. As I turned to the back to have a look at the drinks section, I came across this:

Cigarettes anyone? Served at any point of the meal, before, during and even after.
Luo Mee - This is a peculiar type of noodles as you can add black vinegar to the soup and it'll enhance the taste.

From this point on, it'll be just random photos of Malaysian food which I've eaten.

Rotiboy - crunchy on the outside, melted butter in the inside. Enough to die for? Hmmm

Pork Noodles

Penang Laksa - White noodles which is transparent looking when raw in soup made from fish.

Rojak Buah - Cut up fruits with some deep fried stuff mixed with peanut sauce

Another version of Rojak Buah

One of my favourites - Yau Yu Ong Choi (Squid with water spinach) - mixed in the same peanut sauce

Best curry noodles I've tasted so far. There was even a generous helping of clam in it.

It was my first time eating this at a restaurant. A different type of bean called 'Guai Dau' in Cantonese. Very delicious but it's also more expensive as compared to long beans or French beans.

Roasted Duck and meat. I'm not really a big fan of duck but this duck wasn't bad at all.

Cantonese style fried noodles

Hokkien style fried noodles - This dish was weird cause according to Penang people, this type of noodles doesn't exist in Penang which is highly populated with Hokkiens but it exists in KL.

Fried rice - liked this stall's fried rice cause they put a lot of prawns in it.

Lala (a type of clam) fried with egg and spring onion - first time I've tried and it wasn't bad. Usually it's oysters with egg but since oysters are expensive, this stall


Want to know what I usually have for breakfast?

From Pau, white carrot cake to Dim Sum, you name it. All the Chinese food for me. Hehehehe. Later on, I moved on to Malay food. But that will be posted next time.

How I miss 10 course dinners. Usually it's served during a function or on special occasions in high class restaurants or hotels. I was lucky enough to attend a medical talk at Hilton hotel after being smuggled in by my aunt and below was what I had for dinner:
From left to right and top to bottom: 1. Cold dish 2. Braised assorted dried seafood soup 3.Steamed Promfret 4.Chicken with San Tung Nut 5.Tiger Prawns 6.Stirred Marrow Quash with mushroom and garlic 7.Noodles with mushroom and bean sprout 8.Tong sui (Dessert) - Sweetened papaya with red dates 9.Deep fried lotus paste sesame ball

It was bad for health but I tend to overeat at dinners like this. The delicious food didn't help to prevent this from happening too.

Malaysian buffet breakfast in a hotel - as you can see how different it is from European breakfast, I do miss them


This was one weird dish I tried at Hong Kie's, a Hong Kong restaurant while visiting my friend at Seremban - It's garlic rice wrapped in leaf topped with an egg and sweet and sour pork ribs. Nice.

Prawn noodles - one of my favourite noodles

Steam boat, or more commonly called hot pot outside Malaysia

Bak Kut Teh - Pork boiled in herbal soup, and Tapai Chicken - Chicken cooked in rice wine

Kajang Satay - Best satay which I've tasted. It's pieces of chicken and beef skewered and then grilled using charcoal. Eaten with peanut sauce, cucumber, onion and ketupat (boiled sticky rice)

That's all for now. Next entry will be focusing on Kelantan food. As a true Malaysian, only the food part of the trip to Kelantan was important. Hahahaha. Till then.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

very boring leh ur blog...hehehe.no offence.mayb can b more detail

Windchaser said...

waaaah, my first negative feedback! i'm too lazy to go into the details. my excuse will be 'a picture paints a thousand words' so, if the food tempts you, try it! other than that, this entry is just for my own reference in future and maybe to trigger some homesickness.

Anonymous said...

not tAT ur pic r nice. afterall if u r blogging u shud dare to accept critism. hahha

h.3.l.3.n said...

just when i was wondering wad to start eating back in msia...

pp said...

arrrr....the food makes me drooll!! sotong kangkungg!!..my favourite!!..
noreen, now u make me wana go back malaysia liao..