Sunday 6 July 2008

Picking up driving again

After such a long time, after avoiding it for 3 weeks since I got back to Malaysia, finally, I picked up the courage to touch the car again.

It has been 2 years since I last drove. On top of that, my driving skills was never really up to standard in the first place. I thought I would have forgotten how to drive, or my skills must have deteriorated to the extent of not knowing how to drive. How glad I was to find out that I was wrong!

Hehehehe. This time, I just drove for about half an hour in the morning. It was quite scary at first, as I couldn't really estimate how big the car was. By looking into the back mirror, I couldn't estimate how far away I was from the motorbike which conveniently chose the right moment to stop behind me as I was reversing out of my house.

Thus, from that point on, I realised that driving was all about estimation. We estimate the distance between the car in front and your car, estimate how near you are from the side of the road, estimate that you're driving on your side of the road and not declare the road belonging to your ancestors and drive in the middle of the lines, estimate how much you need to turn the steering wheel to clear the pot holes......the list goes on.

I hate it when driving is not like playing the piano when you can afford to make mistakes and just practice and practice until you got it right. I sometimes wished that my car was like a bumper car where I can make mistakes, banging into objects, or maybe accidentally driving it up a divider and come out without a scratch. No, once you bump into something, that's it. You'll be rewarded with a dent on your car to remind you not to repeat the same mistakes.

Afterwards, my parents are going to make me the chauffeur again this afternoon. So, wish me luck. I wonder when will the time come when driving will be a 2nd nature to me, when will it be when driving will be like walking?

1 comment:

h.3.l.3.n said...

i haven driven for like 3 yrs myself..