Thursday 26 February 2009

What a day

I started my day taking a history from a Palliative care patient. I had dreaded this rotation a lot but surprisingly, it turned out all right and I've come to the last day.

He was a really nice gentleman. When it was time for me to ask about his religious belief, he asked me to read the piece of poem pinned on the board. When I looked up, he was crying and I felt so bad for making him cry. 'Footprints in the Sand' was the poem.

Footprints in the Sand

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.

This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.

So I said to the Lord,
"You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during
the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one
set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most,
you have not been there for me?"

The Lord replied,
"The times when you have
seen only one set of footprints in the sand,
is when I carried you."
Mary Stevenson
Copyright © 1984 Mary Stevenson, from original 1936 text, All rights reserved

Did it at least tugged your heart strings a little? I almost cried when I saw him crying. Control, control.....

Later that afternoon, there was an ethics presentation at uni and I had to rush back. So nervous!!! I have this chronic stage fright which I don't think will be cured no matter what I try. I get nervous even in pbl! How pathetic is that?

Thanks to S who wrote the brilliant script which rhymes. Thanks to everyone who put in so much effort to rehearse and memorise the script.....

And we won!!!!!
The prize for each of us was:

5 pounds worth of book voucher. Hmmm, what book to buy?

I came back and unexpectedly, I received another copy of the book I ordered a week ago:
What am I suppose to do with 2 duplicate copies?

First thought that came to my mind was, hopefully they won't charge me for the 2nd copy, then I'll sell it at full price.

Then I saw the return form:

Should I listen to my conscience and return the book? Tick that duplicated delivery box? Oppps, I unintentionally ticked the please give me full refund box as well. Hehehe.

Haih.....what to do??? Maybe let me wait and see if they charge me for the 2nd copy or not first.

Update:

They didn't charge me for the 2nd copy, but due to the good conscience winning over the evil conscience, I sent back the duplicate copy. Cannot start regretting now. I'm training to be an honest doctor not a ruthless business woman.

3 comments:

Grace said...

Good job noreen !! u did the rite thing otherwise ur guilt may follow u for quite a while :) a pat on the back for doing the harder option

Windchaser said...

thanks mei lin. yay! i received praises from a teacher! never received one before.

h.3.l.3.n said...

i want a teacher's praise too! hehe