Saturday 29 August 2009

Birmingham and Cadbury Chocolate Factory

My second visit to Birmingham after 3 years and yet it seemed like just yesterday that I stepped foot here.

We stayed at this lovely hostel, quite a bit of a walk from the train station but since they offer all day unlimited free flow of breakfast i.e. tea, coffee and toast, we were really happy with the accommodation.
Breakfast at the lower ground. While going down the narrow stairs, I thought I was going into the underground dungeon if not for the bright lighting. Y2's toast that she prepared for me was toasted just nice.

We started our morning with intensive shopping at the bullring ....but I ended up empty handed. So sad. It's just too late into the sales and sizes were not available.

After lunch, we took the train to Bournville station. We had to walk quite a stretch to reach Cadbury Chocolate Factory. I have been yearning to visit this place since first year but nobody was interested and now my dream has come true.
Finally, we were there. We had 30% discount from London Midlands on top of our student discount. So, our ticket was really cheap. To my delight, chocolate was everywhere!!!!

As we had to wait for another hour before our admission time, we went to Essence first, which was at another building. Here, they told the story of how the delicious Cadbury chocolate was made. The secret was 1 and a half cup of fresh milk. I loved the visual and of course, the free chocolate treat we got at the end. I chose marshmallow and it was topped with this really rich liquid chocolate. Yummy!

Finally, the start of our chocolate filled journey. I was the only kid in the group, the other 2 are just too grown up. Hahaha. We started of with the Aztec jungle where the story of the origin of cocoa was told. Imagine, I could exchange a pumpkin with 2 cocoa beans, a rabbit for 10, and a servant for 100 beans. Maybe I should buy a butler to settle all my cooking, washing, ironing, etc.

Pocahontas? Maybe not. It depicts how cocoa beans were brought back to Europe but sadly, I can't remember the story behind it.

Chocolate drink was considered the drink of choice in high society. It was even the replacement of alcohol. Next time if my patient comes to see me with alcoholic problem, I'll ask him to drink hot chocolate instead. Hahaha. We were pampared with lots of free chocolate on the way too but I was just too full to eat anymore.

Other exhibition include documentary on how the cocoa beans were processed. There was one part where they showed how the cocoa beans were grilled and shelled, the seats started to sway side to side and it was so funny how they implied that the audience has turned into cocoa beans.

Next, we walked through the factory itself seeing how the chocolate were packed followed by the Cadabra ride which is similar to a Disneyland ride filled with cute little cocoa bean characters. We got to write our own name in chocolate too.

Advertising - I guess without advertisement, Cadbury wouldn't be that successful. It is an important factor affecting sales. Some of them are just so creative.

The baseball field right outside the factory. I was impressed at how much Cadbury value their workers, building sport facilities, club houses, implementing time off and pension. I guess happy workers do increase the production. The houses around Bourville were really cute as well, each having a sign with family name on it. Finally, we made our way back to Birmingham, overdosed with chocolate but happy.

There was this area in the city centre where they made it look like the beach with beach chairs and even a little bar in it. I think it was advertising some travel agency.
The town hall

Cute little mini cooper covered with plants.

I really like Yy's phototaking skills for this trip. Do you know why? Above was the example of the effect I wanted. The instructions given were, 'I want the flag and the stone sphere to be in....'

And this was the result of her shot. 10/10 marks. Hahaha.

That concludes my trip to Cadbury Chocolate Factory. Next will be Black Country Living Museum which is in my opinion, the best attraction in the UK so far. Even parents will enjoy visiting it. Till then.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.