Tuesday 6 October 2009

Bahasa Malaysia for Science and Maths?

Currently, the Ministry of Education is proposing to reverting back teaching of Science and Mathematics in Secondary Schools in Bahasa Malaysia in year 2010. I would like to know what your views are on this matter and share my own take on what I think.

English has been used to teach Science and Math for the past 6 years. When I heard that news, I was already long past Secondary school so it didn't affect me much but I did support that move.

Let me start with my own experience. I was in the first batch of student when they introduced the Science subject as a paper for UPSR. Since I went to a Chinese Primary school, I learned all my Science, Mathematic, Kajian Tempatan, Moral Education in Mandarin.

Next, it was Secondary school. Everything from Science, Math, Geography, History, were taught in Bahasa Malaysia(BM) or Malay, except for Mandarin and English. I admit that it took me a while to get used to all the new terms and expressions. But nonetheless, I adapted to the system in no time.

Soon after, it was college. Now, everything was taught in English except for Malay literature. Hmmmm......at least the spellings for scientific terms in BM were similar to that of English. The biggest challenge was Physics, I would say, but luckily, I didn't have to take that subject. Let me give you an example. Symbiosis was simbiosis in BM. Friction was geseran in BM. Mandarin is totally different story.

See the change that I had to go through? From Chinese, to Malay, to English and one can argue that it is not a big deal if so many people like me turned out all right in the end. I would care to differ as not everyone can adapt that easily.

I do agree with opinions that Malay should be used as the medium so that students from lower socioeconomic classes where usually BM is their stronger point, will find it easier to understand the concepts while learning Science and Math. However, will it be fair deny other students from gaining an advantage by learning it in English as one can put 90% or more of scientific and mathematical resources are in English? You've solved the beginning problem of coping with learning the two new subjects, but they will bound to run into obstacles again if they want to move higher up. Can everyone adapt that easily?

Another argument is that learning Science and Maths is like learning a new language. Most of the terms and numbers used are universal. So, what's the big deal? The most important thing is learning the principles and concept. There wouldn't be a problem of finding resources at the beginner's stage but when it comes to higher levels or even at world stage, who can keep up translating all newly published journals into BM? Even in Japan where translation of articles is common, they are unable to keep up as well. That is why English is so widely learnt in Japan.

One would wonder why don't they allow flexibility in the language that is used to teach Science and Maths? At least at school level. Or maybe it should be up to the teacher to explain it in the language of preference. Basically, no matter how easy you try to make it for a student to learn Science and Maths, it will be down to how much interest and effort they want to put in to learn.

If Malaysia wants to put its mark on the world stage in Science and Maths, there is no running away from publishing those papers in English. So, how long can the Ministry deny the important of learning Science and Maths in English?

P.s. Do share your views by clicking on the poll on the right.

No comments: