Saturday 24 October 2009

First attempt at Siu Mai making

I felt like I was a scientist carrying out my experiment to test out this ingenious plan. Ok...I'm exaggerating. It is my first time making Siu Mai and halal version of that some more. Been promising my flatmates that I'll make them since last year but using the excuse of preparing for finals, I somehow managed to procrastinate for such a long time.

So, with chicken substituting pork and following all the other instructions, I started the experiment this afternoon.
It was tough to separate the chicken meat from the bone as I used the thigh and drum sticks as the meat was juicier. Minced the chicken meat, diced the prawn, mushrooms and water chestnuts. Put them all into the mixing bowl.

At least I didn't have to make my own pastry.

Next add egg white, tapioca flour, sugar and salt. Mix well till its sticky and leave in the fridge to marinate for 1 hour.

Had quite a fun time trying to fold the dumplings. Some was just over-flowing. Steamed them for 15 minutes and Tah Daaaahhhh.....don't they look delicious?

Verdict: Too salty but texture was almost perfect and presentation can be improved.

I'm going to have another go tomorrow. Hopefully this time, it's going to be as authentic as possible.

No comments: