Thursday 7 February 2008

Gong Xi Fa Chai!

Happy Chinese New Year!

It is so different celebrating it in the UK compared to back home. Over here, there isn't any festive mood, no sound of any Chinese New Year songs, no decorations at shops etc. I miss visiting relatives on the first day where I get to collect a lot of Ang Pows!

JPA had been really kind to us. They banked in the top up for September and October's allowance yesterday. So, it's their Ang Pow for us. So, in order to show my appreciation, I'll put in more effort in studying. (I hope that I can accomplish this)

Oh ya. Finally, I received my keyboard!!!! I really love it a lot. It's Casio CTK-810. The latest model from Casio. It was released this year and it only weighs 4kg, which is really light for a keyboard, yet it contains sooooo many functions. I haven't experimented with all of them yet but I will eventually.

It was this Tuesday when I just went to the porter's lodge to check for any mail. I wasn't expecting the keyboard to arrive so early as the website mentioned that it takes about a week. Then, I saw that huge box at the porter's lodge.

I happily carried it back to my room. It is a really huge box but I managed to carry it under one arm as it was really light for its size.

My beloved keyboard

Now I wished I had a much bigger room. There wasn't space on my table and it is occupied by my books, laptop and table lamp. So, next available space: my bed.

Come to think of it, I should have bought this earlier on. Then will I have more time to play. It had touch response, midi and computer connection, over 500 types of tones. More than what I hoped for.

Tuesday: played for 1/2 an hour because got pbl to rush for Wed.
Wed: played for 4 hours straight.

Sadly, after not playing the organ or piano for such a long time, my skills have becomed really rusty. I am crazed about One Republic's song, Apologize. Managed to find the chords and melody by ear. Played my own version for a while, then I wanted to play the actual version.

The best place to learn - YouTube. There are so many tutorials posted there where they teach you how to play the actual version. Most of them are home production, but one of two were very professional where they used software which can show which keys are pressed. The song is easier than expected. So, for you all out there who are interested in attempting this song on your own, just go to YouTube and search for it. Good luck with that!

4 comments:

Grace said...

wah they post the keyboard like tht.. so attractive to steal le..
shudnt companies wrap them in more discreet packagings esp for ex stuff lik tht .. computers...
noreen.. i also wanna relearn my piano... either by my self or go for classes.. i think classes shud be nice .. can learn without going for exams.. and i wanna try different styles .. i wanna start composing again... but o0 its so hard after leaving it for so longgg

Windchaser said...

i think it's because they're supposed to deliver to your doorstep. that's why. but mine goes to the porter's lodge. luckily i received it without any problem. how's chinese new year in manchester?

aiyo, my skills are so rusty. want to read notes also more difficult than what i remembered. have to brush up again.

Sakura said...

ARGHH! you actually bought it? I'm so jealous. hehe next time i come to liverpool can play. can i?

Windchaser said...

can. but due to the small size of my table, it'll be placed on my make shift table - my bed.