Sunday 24 February 2008

Live match at Anfield

Dear blog,

Sorry for neglecting you for such a long time. I had been really really extremely busy. I seriously don't know how did I survive till today, but I did.

This one came as a very lucky opportunity. I personally don't know how to obtain match tickets for Liverpool matches at Anfield cause it's so difficult to get them. My friend, JT just contacted me one fine Thursday last week when I was in the mist of getting stressed out by all the commitment and work I had to do asking if I wanted to go for a live match on Saturday.

Without even considering if I would be busy or not, I took the offer straight away. (This is the same when it comes to food as well, which is a bad thing. Now you know what you can bribe me with). The ticket cost 24 pounds and it was the 9th row from the pitch, at one of the corners.

Liverpool fans are really loyal. On Saturday morning, we walked to town to take the bus. On the way, practically every single person on the streets were wearing Liverpool FC jersey or scarf. JT even went to town the day before to get a scarf.

We had to get down a stop before the stadium cause the roads were flooded with people. Liverpool's stadium wasn't as strict as Barcelona's Camp Nou cause the personnels didn't even check my bag. The ticket was really beautiful and the best thing is I get to keep it as a souvenir.

My friend was telling me about the layout of the stadium. One thing special about one side was that its capacity is much bigger due to its increased steepness and narrower seats. This was the side behind Liverpool's goal on the first half.This part of the stadium is always very enthusiastic. They kept on cheering and singing throughout the whole match. When they were cheering, they cheered the loudest. When they were disappointed, they showed the most disappointment. There were always occasional synchronised banging sounds made by the chair slamming back when the audience stood up.


The many faces of Anfield stadium

I loved how the audience cheered for Liverpool before the match. They passed a giant flag from one end to the other, sang and held the scarves into the air.






Liverpool scored in the first half. During the break, I took the opportunity to take some photos:
Sorry, nothing which can identify that I'm a Liverpool supporter unless if you counted the red hat
The only player I knew in the first half was Peter Crouch because my mother always calls him the clumsy giant.He was easily identified because he's the tallest and skinniest. He did look very unstable on his feet.

Steven Gerrard only came out towards the end. My corner of the field wasn't happening, so I couldn't get any nice pictures of him. Sometimes I wish that I have cameras like this:
That time, even if I'm 1km away from the player can still capture the mole on his face, if any of them has any

The thing with me and live matches is that, the team which I support either ends in a draw, or this time, Liverpool lost to Barnsley at 1-2. Sedih.

When it was almost reaching the end of the match, people kept on turning back to see the time, hoping for a miracle to happen. But, it's just too bad.

History repeated itself. We waited, and waited, and waited for the bus in the really cold weather. No buses came, in the end, we walked back. At least our place wasn't too far away. Took us about an hour to reach home.

I was telling JT about how M and I walked from Old Trafford back to our friends' place and he said luckily we're not watching the match in Manchester. That one I think took M and I 1.5 hours. At least we got back just in time for Chinese New Year Reunion dinner.

At least Liverpool won the match on Tuesday.

No comments: