Saturday 1 November 2008

Too cold and too stressful a week

I guess the sudden drop in temperature and the accumulative stress has finally taken their toll on me.

Tuesday was GP day, but we got off around 2pm after starting our audit of the practice. That night, I woke up around 3am and vomited.

Wednesday, forced myself out of bed to go to hospital as I couldn't afford to miss anything. Was grilled in Paediatrics Rheumatology clinic by the consultant. I don't know why did I mention that I was briefly attached to the same firm during my electives in Malaysia.

It wasn't my day when none of his patients turned up for 1 hour time frame. Even with all the grilling on the types and causes of arthritis in children narrowing into juvenile idiopathic arthritis, I was shivering down to my bones, thanks to an empty stomach since 3 that morning and that tiny breakfast which I'd forced myself to eat.

Lunch was just 20 minutes for me. Had just a bowl of hot African sweet potato with green peas soup. My appetite was notoriously good that even my friend asked why was I eating so little that afternoon.

Rushed back for a surgical clinic. Again, grilled by the consultant on umbilical hernias, midline sinuses and Meckel's diverticulum. I had to rush off for the introduction for Transitional Care Unit before the clinic finished as it was scheduled in my time table.

I spent 10 minutes getting shown the wrong direction, running around like crazy in the cold outside before I managed to reach the place in one piece.

No energy, no appetite, went to bed right after I reached home. Everything was fine until I woke up around 12am to throw up whatever soup I had for lunch.

Thursday, dragged myself for diabetes clinic. Started shaking all over but managed to survive till the clinic ended. Went off at 12pm. I was planning to bring myself to the Walk-in centre to see a doctor, but considering the shivers I was getting and how weak and sleepy I was, I rather not chance fainting in the middle of town. So, back to my room.

Had an MSN consultation with Dr. Khoo, who is my senior but an F2 doctor now. (He said he'll only read my blog if I mentioned him) Was prescribed Gaviscon and Ranitidine but I had none with me. Went down to the nearest Pharmacist to get them. Forced down some dinner, took the medicine, and it was bed time for me.

Friday, feeling much better. Thanks Dr. Khoo. Went for teaching, still no appetite. I can't believe eating has been such a chore for me. Went home, received a few differential diagnosis from my friends on MSN cause I mentioned that I vomited twice on my personal message, which included: anorexia, gastritis, cancer, pregnant, etc. Sorry, was too weak to laugh.

Saturday, still no appetite. I think I'm suffering more from losing my appetite than feeling weak and vomiting. Now I'm trying to catch up with all the homework which has been piling up for the whole week.
View from my window this morning. It looked so warm but it's 2 degree Celsius outside. It's supposed to be just November and yet it has started snowing in a few parts of UK.
I ended up staying indoors the whole day, sleeping my afternoon away.

Make sure you all wear warmer and thicker clothes this winter and try not to fall sick. I miss being hungry on the contrary to what my flat mates say about good for losing weight. Despite of the amount of sleep I was having this week, I still look like this now:

Winter came eeeaaarrrrlllyyy. Time to ZZZZzzzzzzzzzz........
Image taken from World's Cutest Animal Photo Gallery

2 comments:

thedivinekiss said...

Awwh...you poor thing. Hope you're feeling much better now :)

Windchaser said...

i'm totally cured now and my appetite has returned twice as good as it was before. thought i could avoid putting on weight this winter but, oh well. thanks for your concern.