Friday 24 April 2009

Athens Day 3

We set off that day going towards Pireus port as we wanted to book our tickets for the ferry to visit the islands the next day.

After a long metro ride, we realised that we were heading in the wrong direction. It took us that long because C was telling such interesting ghost stories that we didn't pay attention to where we were heading. However, we came across this really nice cafe and decided to calm our hungry stomachs before heading to our destination.
Old Baker's - the best sandwich in town, which was very true. They made the best baguettes I've ever tasted. I remember eating my first baguette at Delifrance in Malaysia. I couldn't even cut it with a knife and I had difficulty chewing it. One friend commented that the BLT (£2.85) was so much cheaper as compared to the UK. The nicest one amongst them was with the sausage (top right). I had Greek coffee to go with my turkey baguette. It was quite strong and sweet but not too creamy.

Next stop on our was to the port was M's favourite destination - football stadium and gift shop. I must admit that I am totally ignorant about football.
M's smiling after buying her playing cards, keychains and pins which she collects from each and every football club she visits. A very expensive hobby.

Finally, we arrived at Pireus port
Nice group photo
And when it came to my turn, of course I have to 'bergaya' a bit, but actually it's because I didn't have enough time to turn and pose.

There were so many ferries and they were huge! I would love to go on a long cruise when I've got the time and money. At least we've booked our 1 day cruise to the islands but that left us so much poorer.

Next stop: National Archaeological Museum
It had one of the biggest bronze collection but I thought it seemed quite small. The museum was quite big and M and I didn't have enough time to explore the 1st floor as we spent most of our time queuing up at the Post Office buying stamps and first day covers.

Finally, at 4.30pm, we took the bus to Sounion to visit Poseidon's temple. The bus ride cost € 5.70 and the journey took 1.5 hours.

As soon as we arrived, we were greeted by this breath taking view.

The Temple of Poseidon.

Just a brief history on how Athens got its name: Athena and Poseidon were two of the most important deities to the people but due to the love of olives, the people chosed Athena in the end and named their city after her. I heard this piece of information from our guide on the first day, so don't quote me on it.

The temple was built from white marbles and it still looked white today.

Cape Sounio, blue skies, sparkling sea, added the fact that it was almost sunset, perfect.

Now for some entertaining shadow play:
Try identifying me from the pictures. Clue: I've gained weight on this trip.

Loved the heart shape

So many arms. Good for multitasking.

I came across this plant with unopened flower bulbs. From far, it looked like golden balls on the ends and it looked so artificial.

We were trying to make the letters: L.O.V.E. Not very successful.

The only successful jumping photo out of many and of course, I was the camera person.

Sunset

Such a beautiful place. Too bad we're leaving.

As long as the scenery is beautiful, you could get away with any horrible poses.

Last picture of Poseidon's temple
Group picture before we head back to Athens

Seafood platter for dinner. This was the only time I have close to zero photos of food due to the degree of hunger and poor lighting. It was delicious. There were fried anchovies, shrimps, mussels, grilled octopus, potato salad, Tzatziki, and olives.

Next time: Day 4 - Day Cruise to 3 islands.

2 comments:

h.3.l.3.n said...

u guys did the photo stillettos too like mine last time! well done for the updates, noreen, 5 ppl from london went to this trip but i had to read about it from someone in liverpool!

Windchaser said...

what to do. most of the londoners don't own a blog. even if they did, it's only like what..5 pictures to summarise the whole thing. Hahaha. i think you know who am i talking about.