Tuesday 7 December 2010

The best cure

This weekend was so eventful that I've had enough excitement to last me a year. It started with Friday evening where we encountered this really obnoxious mother of a patient whom was dissatisfied from not having an ensuite room for them till not being able to meet the professor. Looking at the bright side, this scenario proved my inexperience in handling these sort of situation and getting too emotionally involved. I still have a really long way to go. Saw her again yesterday. The best cure for mending any misunderstandings is actually with her son getting better. Really mellowed down a lot and a 180 degrees change was not all that surprising.

Oncalls on weekends and holidays are depressing. I still didn't have time to eat all meals but at least I managed to feed myself something for dinner which turned out to be my previous lunch, current meal and next day's breakfast.

Post-call was horrible too. My brain's function decreased to about 10% of its usual capacity, had to use every single resource of communication skill that I had to handle the previous patient, then when I was staying back overtime to settle the discharge summaries, I somehow ended up together with my other HO in the doctor's room with my MO and lecturer and was grilled on Asthma management and my method of explanation of the Asthma Action Plan and diary to parents. It was the first time that I witnessed extreme stress from my fellow HO who had to leave straight away right after we were released from the torture chamber. For me, the brainwashing that I've been self implementing somehow worked. I felt happy that I'd learned the proper management and method of effective delivery of information across to patients. Plus, both MO and lecturer stayed overtime to grill us! What dedication.

It is always a good thing that I'm being scolded then not cared at all cause the reason why our teachers scold us is that they want us to improve. If they're not bothered, it means that they've given up on us.

No comments: