Wednesday 22 December 2010

So unlucky

Seriously, I just don't understand how can so many unlucky things happen to me within the span of 2 days.

It first started on Monday morning, when I had to help sedate a patient during intubation. I don't know if I was too tense or too tired, but I actually misinterpreted the amount that was drawn up into the syringe that I under-dosed the patient by 1/10 of Actracurium, which is a muscle relaxant therefore, the patient wasn't relaxed and the senior doctors couldn't open his mouth at all. Luckily my MO spotted my mistake and we gave him the right dose after.

Take 2 of unlucky events:
Next unlucky thing that happened was during the afternoon presentation. The presenter before my turn used her own laptop for her presentation. But when the projector was changed back to the desktop, the screen of the monitor was all black. So, as I turned around to look at the screen behind me, I accidentally knocked my pendrive out of the USB port at my knee level and it broke into half. What a joke, right in front of all the professors and lecturers. It died straightaway. I had to run all the way back to my ward to retrieve another copy of the presentation, borrowed a pendrive to store it, and luckily managed to give the presentation in the end. Phew.

Take 3 of unlucky events:
As I was preparing the IV drugs for 4pm, I found myself struggling to open the glass vial for Ranitidine. Finally when it decided to break, I ended up cutting my index finger. Haih.....what a great way to start my oncall.

Take 4 of unlucky events:
I managed to go back to my room at 1am during oncall to take a shower and to catch a bit of sleep after. Was woken up around 2.30am as there was a new admission. I made my way to the ward only to realise that I left my bag and keys locked inside my room. Luckily I had my stethoscope, calculator and my list of things to do. Continued my sleep at one of the deserted beds in the ward before getting up to review patients an hour later. Went back to my accommodation and luckily the porter was around and had spare keys. I was let into my room safely but had to go back to work shortly.

Take 5 of unlucky events:
Assisted in sedation for reintubation of the previous patient as there was leakage and his saturations was dropping. As I was drawing up drugs with the guidance of my MO, I accidentally placed my index finger (yes, the same finger) over a vial which was already open and sustained another cut. 2nd cut since I'd started on this new ward. Haih...... went home at 8pm that day and I was postcall. Who said doctors don't work up to 36 hours. Actually that statement is true. We work more than 36 hours.

For today, I started work at 7.15am and went home at 9pm as I stayed back to attempt a few transfer summaries. I want to retire NOW! At least I didn't encounter any further bad luck.

If anyone has luck to spare, please send your donations to:

Paeds ICU, 5th floor, Menara Timur,
Pusat Perubatan Universiti Malaya.

P.s.
Saw a former patient today who was at the verge of dying from Dengue haemorrahgic shock syndrome but improved after days of infusion of coconut water. I guess we'll start trying everything when hope is all gone. The patient looked so well that no one would have believed that many gave up on her when she was at her most critical condition.

There's still miracles in this world and maybe that's why I'm still staying on this long windy path.

2 comments:

h.3.l.3.n said...

shows that there's still miracles around that make us hold on every time we are on the verge of giving up..

Grace said...

hey noreen.. hugsssss