Saturday 29 March 2008

Battle with Sleep

Tick, tick, tick, tick,
My table clock went as it counted each passing second.
The night was just too peaceful,
Too serene to keep me awake.

The streets are so quiet,
Crickets playing their usual symphony.
Only my room was lit,
Accompanying the street lights at this graveyard hour.

Sleep, that dreaded temptation,
Cautiously extending its arms.
Wrapping itself around me,
Welcoming me to the land of dreams.

No, I must fight it,
Fighting for my life seemed so much easier.
Losing consciousness, I was confronted by Regret,
No! I don't want to be embraced by you yet.

Forcing my eyes open,
I was greeted by my messy table.
Strewn with books and writing materials,
Accumulated from days before.

Sat on a small corner,
A mug half filled with brown liquid.
I realised it didn't give out it's usual scent,
Must have turned cold after its battle with sleep.

Where did I left off?
Struggling to focus my vision.
Sleep was still knocking on the door,
The battle has yet to be won.

No comments: