Wednesday 26 March 2008

Jack of All Trades vs Master of One

I do envy people who excel in all sorts of aspects. These are the lucky people who have realised their talents and have worked hard to nourish them. How nice if I had a skill or talent which I can be proud of?

Sadly, I am one of the species of Jack of all trades. I cannot even be proud of that as my knowledge and skills are so limited! If I had the ability to know a lot, at least I can excel at being the best Jack of all trades.

Life is unfair at times. Society will only allow the person who excels in something to stand out from the rest - the Masters of One (or many for those really gifted and hardworking ones).

You can't escape that competition to stand out no matter how hard you try as people are judging and comparing you to others throughout your whole life.

Compare and compare. We do it all the time. The person who does something best will be identified soon enough. Here is the start of all the envy, jealousy, low self-esteem, admiration, motivation, yearning to be like others.

What about the Jack of all trades?
You can do that? I can do that as well. Nothing to be envy about. Agree?

I don't think so.

I envy people for things I don't have. I will envy a Jack of all trades who knows more than me. In other words, I will envy people who are better than me. Of course, I will be dazzled by Masters of One cause they're so good at it.

I know friends who don't feel that they're special but they are so wrong. It is always difficult to realise and identify your own ability which you're good at. The thing which we always forget is that even your personality, way of thinking, interpersonal skills, etc. can be the object of someone's admiration. It is not always about the physical appearance, what grades, what qualifications, what property you own that can make others envy. I don't know about you, but I envy people for so many things. Sometimes, they just need that little push on their backs to build up their confidence.

I can say that I am greedy in that I want to have all these qualities that others have and I'm trying to learn from them. If I was so contented, I wouldn't think that I would go far in life!

Everyone is special, that I believe. You just need to realise that and be more confident in yourself. Plus, at the same time, work on other aspects which you lack. That's the only way we can improve.

I would like to change how society works, still worshipping the Masters of One and neglecting the Jacks of all trades, but that change will never happen. What can we do?
  • Try our best to make the most out of life
  • Receive all criticisms with an open mind
  • Improve, improve and improve
  • Set goals and work your way towards it. There is opportunity everywhere, you just need to find it
  • Most importantly, live life without regrets
Now, back to studying but I doubt that I can see my results without regrets. Haih.....so much for all I've said.

No comments: