Thursday 13 March 2008

Does the number of As matter?

SPM or Malaysia Certificate of Education results were released today. For those who doesn't know, it's the equivalent to O Levels.

Newspaper reported that Azali managed to score 21As in the recent SPM. News article link as follows:
http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Wednesday/Frontpage/20080312154222/Article/index_html

For the breakdown, he scored 20A1s and 1 A2. Sometimes I do wonder has the standard of SPM drop as the A1s are easily obtained nowadays.

This reminded me of the talk my parents gave to me when they were encouraging me when I was preparing for the same exam. I did ask them, what if I obtained 9 A1s and 1 A2 in my result? (I took 10 subjects at that time) Will I still be better than other students who took only 9 subjects but got all A1s?

My dad gave me this Metaphor, say you have a clean white shirt which represents 9A1s, then you compare it to another shirt which has a stain on it signifying the A2. Which one will you pick?

What they said was quite true, not getting the highest grade even in 1 of the subjects taken would have tainted my certificate. This was further illustrated by those who managed to obtained the Public Service Department's scholarship aka JPA scholarship. It was saddening to see a few of my friends who got straight A1s but has an A2 among the many subjects which they've taken failing to obtain a scholarship, whereas others which have taken less subjects, scored all A1s and obtained the scholarship. Life is unfair sometimes.

Looking at Azali with his 21As, if the same standard of grading were to apply to him, say, we put him up against someone who has scored straight A1s in 9 subjects. The person with the 9 subjects would win. But his advantage was that he took more than double almost triple the number of subjects. So, this does not apply to him, I hope.

But let us ask ourselves honestly. What was your first reaction when you read about this?

'This person is crazy. Does he have a life?'

Excuse my French but that was my reaction. I know how hard it is to study 10 subject, now the number is more than double this. Unless he has photographic memory, he must have been studying all the time besides time for taking care of himself and personal things.

I was curious as to whether he did any extra-curriculum activities like sports, music, societies, etc. But there were no mention in the newspaper. I am assuming things right now, but I think usually if the person is actively involved in extra-curriculum, they would have at least mentioned it. If I were the editor, I would have even changed the heading to:

'All rounder scores 21As in SPM'.

Does being a full time bookworm and scoring the best results in the country give you the advantage in the society?

NO.

This was what I learnt while applying to university. They ask you to write your personal statement which has to include your extra-curriculum, your hobbies, passion, voluntary work, etc. It's not all about results. That is only one aspect. There are so many others to consider.

If I had to choose someone, say to be employed into a company, or maybe just a simple committee member to a society. I would prefer to chose someone who has done a number of extra-curriculum with good results rather than someone who has scored exceptionally high but lacking in other aspects. Too heavy on one side is always a disadvantage.

Education is still the most important thing, however, it is not the ONLY important aspect in life. Heard of Bill Gates? He never completed his university education. It's the skill of looking for opportunities in life and making the most of it. This is something which I hope I will master in near future. I want to retire young and rich, go travelling and do the things which I want to do in life without having to worry about money. Sad but true, money is almost about everything in life.

4 comments:

Angeline said...

hi noreen

i read ur entree n i find it very inspiring...

haha...I remember those time when we study for PMR together. That time u told me that u dreamt about straight A's ...do u remember ? hehe

Gud all times...

I do agree with ur thought about having to acquire skills or extra curriculum... I am also trying to work on it ...so tat's why I am busy in clubs while taking classes.

it was fun to read ur blog.

Windchaser said...

nowadays it's those extra things outside classes that you do which helps you stand out. good to hear from you again angie. take care.

Anonymous said...

photographic not photogenic

Windchaser said...

thanks for pointing out. will alter it. care to check the rest of the entries? hehehe