Monday 10 March 2008

Unusual ourcome at Malaysia GE 08

Why do I say unusual. Well, it wasn't exactly unexpected due to incidences which occurred during the last term. With corruption still at large, economic downturn, demonstrations, etc. Things were not looking good for Dato Seri Abdullah Badawi.

Voting in UK
Coming back to voting. I seriously don't know why they make it so difficult for students studying overseas to vote. In my case, it'll be in the UK.

1. You will need to be registered as a legal voter. Usually done in Malaysia but I think it can be done here as well at Malaysia High Commission. I wanted to register while I was back in the summer of 2006 but sadly, was born in Novermber therefore, I wasn't at the legal age at that time.

2. It was the hassle of travelling down all the way to London to Malaysia High Commission on the voting day. I'm not sure if they allow early voting for oversea Malaysians or not.

3. I don't even know if they've managed to prepare the voting forms in time for anyone to vote this time around or not as the election was called suddenly.

4. Even if we did filled in the form under the witness of an official at Malaysian High Com. and get it posted by super fast 'Postlaju', will it be in time for the counting, taking into account the 8 hours lag in the UK as compared to Malaysia? So, it's not that I don't want to exercise my rights but it's just too difficult.

Election Results
Coming back to the election results. It will be written down in history as BN's biggest failure. I'm so lucky that there is no more History exams for me to take. Pity the young generation, more things to learn and remember. At least they can make use of prior knowledge, like the excise of majority system at parliament if more than 2/3 of the seats are secured by the ruling government. This time around, BN just managed to secure a simple majority. I was wondering what will the impact of this be. It will only be of significance if suggestions of change towards the constitution was brought up where in this simple majority, the ruling party will have to rely on agreement from representatives from other parties before a decision can be made. If anything like this ever happens, more history facts to remember for the next generation then.

But of course, from the election results, the wind of change is quite apparent among Malaysians. Therefore, I personally hope that there will be changes for the better.

Pay Rise for Medical Officers
I was really happy when my dad told me about the increase in pay for MOs once they have successfully completed their 2 years compulsory house officer training. Yes. I know, they increased the housemanship training to 2 years. But it does come with this pay rise. Good for those planning to practice medicine in the government section in Malaysia in future.

Quoting from NewStraitsTimes Online:
This means they will be taking home RM5,944.25, including allowances, compared with their present salary of RM3,768.39 with allowances.

At least this pay rise still stays after the election. Now I'm wondering when will JPA next increase our allowance as I recommend that they follow the Health Ministry's footsteps as well.

Funny things during the Voting and Election
Surprisingly one famous Malaysian blogger, Jeff Ooi stood for election and he won. This does show how effective blogs are in conveying your views and messages to the public. We can have electronic campaigns through blogs and then paying other famous bloggers to advertise your campaign in future. Possibility of making money here if your blog is well read.

Another thing was about Malaysiakini's website closure by authorities. It was because they published a letter which criticized the privileges received by the ethnic Malays openly.

I do think that the reason why police raided their office was that they were waiting for the opportunity to do so and that they wanted to prevent the circulation of that letter. However, this incident was reported by the BBC website, which in their report, quoted the letter at least twice. Now, will BBC be raided next?

Full story at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/2676297.stm

I did try to access Malaysiakini to have a look at the results but the whole website was down. Then, found the temporary website from my friend's personal message on MSN. I wonder how did they come to know about this. Their team were still working hard to provide all the latest updates, even when their main site was down. Today, I had a try to access their main site and it was up and running again. So much for the raid.

Now, to look forward to the new government, hoping that any changes made will be for the better.

No comments: