Saturday 4 October 2008

Tick, ..tick,...tick............and then it stopped

Watches have always been a huge part of my life as they were precious gifts from my parents for a special occasion. I am very fussy with my watch but once I choose one, I will treasure it a lot. My first watch lasted me for almost 10 years. It went through so much wear and tear that it has small holes from the erosion of its gold plating. It was still in working condition with a change of its battery. It was just a RM 105 Citizen watch given to me when I was 9 and it lasted till I was 19. I still have it kept away safely in a drawer at home.

My current watch was given to me by my parents before I went to the UK to study. It was this lovely Solvil Titus watch. Sadly, it stopped moving a week ago. I was expecting that it's because the battery has finished, so I went down to town today to get its battery changed.

My beloved watch. Went scuba diving, up Mt. Kinabalu, skiing in France, accompanied me on all my travels, hospital attachments...in short, it was with me each and every day since the day I got it.

I went to The Watch Lab at Clayton Square first. Paid 19.95 pounds to get the battery changed and resealing. I was told to come back after 45 minutes.

Went back, was told that it wasn't the battery but the mechanical parts of the watch that was giving problem and needed servicing. It will cost me another 40 pounds extra for it. That was extremely expensive considering the fact that my watch cost a maximum of 75 pounds brand new. I seriously hesitated. In the end, I decided to think about it first and then come back. When I enquired about my refund, he said they couldn't refund my money. In the state of disappointment and shock, I couldn't argue with them. I was told that the receipt can be used as a cheque note, in other words, a voucher for 19.95 pounds if I ever visited that shop again.

I'm the type of person who will find somebody to talk to whenever I'm stuck or can't decide anything. So, I called M. She advised me to go to another watch repair shop at Liverpool One. So, I braved the rain and went there. Meanwhile, I also disturbed another M in London and Y3 in Preston during this stressful period. Thank goodness they didn't mind it. Thank you for being there for me.

The salesman there was really helpful and he even helped me to double check if there was any problem with the battery. He told me that The Watch Lab did not put the cover back on properly and they not only didn't reseal my watch but broke part of the seal. I told him about them not refunding my money and he said that they should be giving me a refund but they might just try not to because I wasn't English. He told me that he worked there before and he even gave me the telephone number of The Watch Lab's head office and the address as well.

I made the phone call to complain after enquiring about the charged for watch servicing which was 50 pounds. Finally, the caller at the head office said that I should be able to get my refund if I went back to the shop.
Got my refund. It's up to you if you want to get any services from The Watch Lab

The shop at Liverpool one which helped me get my refund back and reassured me about the integrity of what I was told previously is called Watch Workshop. It's next to Debenhams at Liverpool One on the 1st floor. The salesman there made my day. Too bad the cost of servicing prevented me from deciding on it today.

Now, I'm in a conflict of servicing my watch for 50 pounds or just buy a new one. The thing is, it is going to be different if I buy a new watch for myself. That statement just pierces my heart. It seriously is not the same. Maybe it's better if I just survived without a watch.

Is it human nature to take advantage of others? Do we discriminate consciously and subconsciously? I always think that you should treat people how you will want to be treated. The treatment I got from The Watch Lab really left a very bad impression on me of the customer services here. It even gave me the thought that discrimination is not as discreet as I thought here. It seriously doesn't pay for not knowing your rights and not fighting for it.

To buy or to service, that is the question. May it recover from its suspended animation soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't worry... i'll go to hunt with u next weekend :)

Windchaser said...

it started working again, but now and then the date stops changing. so far, it's ok other than that. what should i do???????