Tuesday 23 December 2008

Around Liverpool and Start of winter celebration

This time, being a tour guide was slightly more challenging as a car was thrown in as a means of transportation. YY and her parents plus SC, the nice senior who volunteered to drive them around visited me on Sunday.

Sorry for the lack of photos as 99% of them are in uncle's camera. I brought them to China town first and they had the same reaction I had when I first arrived. The arch was really impressive, but by the time we finished taking photos of it and walked down the humble two rows of unopened restaurants, we realised how small it really is. I even brought them to Chung Wah, the biggest Chinese supermarket in Liverpool. I remember in first year when my parents and sister came to visit, my father mentioned that he wouldn't be worried that I can't survive due to the amount of ingredients and instant noodles which are available.

Next, I brought them to a British vegetarian restaurant called 'The Egg'. I made them climb 3 floors up.

I ordered Humus, which is made from sweet pea. The portion was really big as well and I'm devastated to say that I was able to finish it.

Next, I brought them to Albert dock. We visited the usual attractions: Maritime Museum, Beatles Story, etc. Next was Liverpool One. YY bought a new pair of shoes as her old one was causing her pain.
After all the walking and shopping, I brought them back to my flat to rest. Of all times the lift is our of order, it must happen on Sunday. I felt really cruel to make them climb all the way up to the 4th floor.

Uncle and aunty treated me to dinner at Mei Mei chinese restaurant. I can only say that the world is so small. One of the waiter there was actually uncle's former student from Mentakap.

After wishing them a safe journey home, I rushed to M's flat to make Tang Yuan. It is a Chinese tradition to eat Tang Yuan to mark the start of Winter. The festival is called Dongzhi or Winter Solstice Festival.
I made all of the dumplings shown in the left upper picture, including the pyramids, cubes, starts, etc.

I didn't realise how easy it was to make Tang Yuan. It's just glutinous rice flour mixed with water and different food colourings. After rolling them into little balls (the traditional shape) or any shapes to your liking, boil them in water and add lots of sugar to the water.
Look how cute they are. If you can spot the up-side-down mushroom on the scoop.

No comments: