Thursday 18 December 2008

Curry Puffs - The Making

Initially, I was supposed to have my flatmate, A, supervise me through the whole process. However, due to some circumstances, she only left me with instructions and a packet of curry powder before she disappeared.

So, there I was, left alone in the kitchen on my maiden curry puff making journey which started at 8pm. There was never a need to know how to make curry puff in Malaysia as you can buy them everywhere. But over here, it's a different story.

1. Peel potatoes (30 minutes)
It'll take much longer if I didn't borrow the peeler.

2. Cut potatoes into cubes (40 minutes)

I am a sloth when it comes to cooking. It was quite relaxing cooking on my own as I got to take my time and not be pressurised by anyone.

3. Defrost the ready made dough 1.5 hours before using

Easy to use but it's not the correct dought to make the authentic curry puff. I borrowed the mould from my flatmate as well.

Curry powder imported from Malaysia. One of the main reasons why my curry puffs tasted so good.

4. Peel onion and prepare to cry

British onions are huge. I just needed one.

5. Start crying for 15 minutes

as I chopped the onion.

6. Chop some garlic

About 4 cloves

7. Dilute curry powder in cold water

8. Stir-fry the onion in some oil

9. Throw in the garlic a while later when the onion is fragrant

10. Throw in the potatoes
I had to leave out some of the potatoes as I ended up cutting too many.

11. Add some pepper and Vegetable stock

I added some special ingredient as well. If you want to know, just highlight the words withint the semi-column with your mouse. ' I added two tablespoons of diluted coffee if you believe '

12. Simmer till the potatoes are soft

13. Hands onI cut the dought into smaller squares, place it in the mould, put some filling and then shaped them into mini curry puffs

14. First attempt

I baked them at 220°C for 15 minutes

The result. Not too bad.

Then I continued making the rest.

The shape looked original before baking

After -Do they at least look a tiny bit like curry puffs?


Failed attempts. Some of the curry puffs decided to open their mouth as it was too hot in the oven.

Around midnight, when I was seriously struggling through the last batch of curry puffs, M and C showed up to give moral support and encouragement. So nice of them. With that last boost of motivation I got from them, I huffed and puffed, and finally, got through my last batch of curry puffs.


Tadaaah! I'll give myself 4/10 for presentation and 9/10 for the taste. It does taste better than it looks. Sometimes I wish I can invent a device to record taste.


I wish I could offer some to you, but due to their popularity at the 4th year's Christmas Party at hospital, even the crumbs were not spared.

Thus, the 5 hour curry puff marathon ended at 1am. I still have some left over of the curry filling if anyone is interested.

2 comments:

F.Lee said...

how big are your curry puffs?

Windchaser said...

it depends on what mould you use. i used the smaller one as i was making quite a big amount. it's about 8cm by 4cm in width and thickness after baking