Monday 26 January 2009

Chinese New Year Weekend

Everything is more exciting as compared to preparing for exams. Even the things which were so boring before. Don't ask me why am I blogging now when I'm supposed to be preparing for tomorrow's OSCE.

Pizza Express on Friday evening:

I haven't seen T in such a long time!!!! It's nice to have most of us gathered that night for dinner.
All the food we ordered for 9 people. There were so many varieties to choose from that we spent 1 hour trying to decide what to order. Poor waitress kept on asking if we were ready to order and T asked her to come back after 2 minutes 3 times. Food was great.

9 of us turned up. Sorry if I couldn't catch up much with some of you as I was at one end of the table.

The two dedicated pizza cutters. All of us just sat there chatting away while they struggled cutting the pizzas. Thanks PG and T.

Random candid shots

When we finished our first round of food, surprisingly, the girls were still hungry but the guys were full. How can this happen? It's like through evolution, the appetite of guys has shrunk considerably. So, we ordered 2 more pizzas.

I had to raise my white flag in defeat when it came to the desserts, but 3 other people were still going strong.

Tiramisu which was misheard as Tina-misses-you and I can't remember the name of the other dessert. There was a small cup of expresso next to it which I don't know if you're supposed to pour it all over the cake or not.

That was a good night. Hopefully we can get together again in the near future. F, remember to arrange for a trip to Lake District!

Saturday:
Intensive OSCE revision session. If possible, I don't want to remember what hardship i went through that day. Was so tired. Thanks WW for turning up and helping us with practice.

Sunday:
Went down to Chinatown to watch the parade. It was similar to the previous years. There's still the Dragon and lion dances, and setting off the firecrackers within a metal safety net. This year, we explored 2 more buildings and the funfair instead.

It looks really sunny in the photos, but don't be fooled. It was chilly.

St.Luke Church
We had to sign a form saying that we would take full responsibility in case of any planks, rocks, or foundation come collapsing on us before we enter.

It was fun to see so many people gathered around a big circle and playing the plastic drums while following an instructor. It was very lively.

We were also given a red string to make a wish and tie it to something within the church.

It was so coincidental how F bumped into E when YM and I went missing halfway through the parade.

Next we went to a building next to Chinatown arch which I've never stepped in it before. There was a Tai Chi demonstration and we were hesitating if we should join in or not. Very difficult decision.

The 3 of us joined in the end. It was supposed to be relaxing but I was concentrating hard on following the footsteps which countered that affect.

There was a few exhibition in the lower ground floor which included Chinese caligraphy. Reminded me how long ago I did that. I still remember that I won a few prizes for caligraphy. Hehehe. Trophies are displayed at home.

Funfair
It's been such a long time since I went to a funfair. It sure brings back a lot of childhood memories where I loved the exciting and scary ride.
I think my reaction on those rides are abnormal. Usually I hear screams but if you sat next to me on any of the rides, you'll hear me laughing throughout.

Lunch at The Egg
I think it's becoming a tradition where we always will end up at The Egg restaurant for lunch after the parade.


Food was still as good as ever. The portions were huge as well. It is a rare occasion when I have to leave food behind.

Ended the nice meal with Carrot and Chocolate cake. So rich!

2 hours before dinner
We decided to go shopping and hang around in town instead of heading home. We did shop a bit but all the shops closed at 5pm. So, we killed time with McFlurry at McDonalds. It was my usual nap time then and I struggled to stay awake. I don't know why F was so hyper at the time and YM and I were just like zombies forced to stay awake.
Dinner at Mei Mei Restaurant
I didn't realise how much I missed Nian Gao until my friend ordered it fried with egg. So nostalgic and delicious!
How many years has it been that I haven't celebrated Chinese New Year at home? It's the 4th time. No Ang Pow to collect as well. My parents say 'Out of sight, out of mind'. At least we gathered with friends to celebrate.
When you come to a dead end, do not despair as you might see something interesting passing by.

Happy Chinese New Year everyone and best of luck in the Year of the Ox!

No comments: