Thursday 29 January 2009

Learning is fun when...

you are paid 25 quid to learn something useful!

There was this intubation study advertised among 4th year medical student at my hospital. Initially, I had already wanted to join that study even when there wasn't any monetary reward given.

Then, 1 week later, another email circulated around saying that each participant will receive 25 pounds for participating. Who wouldn't jump at that opportunity.

Intubation isn't as easy as it looks. Plus, I was made to intubate the model over 50 times. Not only the technique must be right, I had to take care not to break any teeth. My left arm and fingers were aching from holding the laryngoscope. But it was all worth it. I wonder who will be my first real guinea pig. You can say that I'm more competent than most new anaesthetists as I had more training and 'tries' as compared to them.

Learning practical skills are fun. Earning so much in 1.5 hours made it more fun. Plus, I'll get a certificate to add to my portfolio.

No comments: