Sunday 8 November 2009

Anglesey and Conwy

Last Wednesday, I had a half day of GP and N had an off day. So, we went off exploring Anglesy and Conwy even thought the weather was quite bad. It was raining most of the time.

Menai Bridge

You can judge for yourself how windy it was that day. The rain stopped momentarily for me to take a few pictures.


Next up is UK's village with the longest name: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

The name is in Welsh and the meaning of the name is "St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave". Phew, I'm not even going to attempt to remember it.

Malltraeth - a landscape shaped by wind, sand, time and man.

The forest was grown to protect the the Newborough village from the wind-blown sand and it provides timber. As you can see, all the trees and grass are bent in the same direction. That includes my hair.
We were seriously freezing at that time.

We stopped at the entrance to the animal farm on Anglesy. N commented that my hair looked like the furry bull behind.

The smallest house in Great Britain. It was situated on Conwy Quay just below Conwy Castle. At least I can still stand at my full height to go through the door. Too bad it is closed for winter.

Conwy Castle. Just 10 minutes walk from my GP surgery.

I have to keep reminding myself that I am here for my GP placement but let's hope that the adventure continues.

1 comment:

Sakura said...

I wonder how the welsh pronounce the village name...so unbelievable...