Tuesday 24 November 2009

Cooking halibut

Finally, we managed to get to the smokery on West Builder street before they close for the day.

It was a really weird experience for me as I confidently stepped into the shop thinking that they might sell a species of fish which I knew but how wrong I was. Except for the cod and salmon, I couldn't recall any fish with those names.

We ended buying a piece of halibut fillet and a packet of smoked salmon for a really cheap price of 9.07 pounds.

The smoked salmon was half priced that day. Such a bargain.

Initially, the man who was serving us looked very bored, but after watching out antics, from asking him to recommend which type of fish to how to cook it, he was smiling all the way while I was paying him. Hahaha. I guess we brightened up his day. Too bad he didn't know how to prepare halibut.

Next, we stopped by Asda to get the ingredients to cook the fish and saying that, it was really funny as we haven't got a clue how to prepare it. A brilliant idea came to my mind, why don't we ask the person at the fresh fish counter?

'Which fish sauce do you recommend cause I'm planning to cook halibut tonight?', while casually pretending to choose one of the fish sauces arranged at the bottom of the fresh fish counter.

'No, you shouldn't prepare it with fish sauce. You should lightly fry it and top it with mashed peas........'

And so, we found out that he learned that recipe from watching Saturday Kitchen and had even tried the recipe himself. Hahahaha.....my ingenious plan worked all thanks to him.

The 3 enthusiastic cooks in the kitchen. D was the main chef and NI and I were the assistant chefs.

After 20 minutes.....

Tadah!!!!! Halibut topped with mashed peas, smoked salmon with boiled vegetables, mashed potatoe and fresh salad. Yummy!

I was trying to get a self shot with the amazing dish but D somehow was caught in the background. Oh well.

Halibut is seriously amazing. The fish on its own without any marination at all tasted so good. So, if any of you are interested in having seafood, halibut is a must try.

I think the picture says it all. The above was for photo taking purposes, and our actual meal was the one below. We even had rice with it. Hahahaha.

I'm now looking forward to our next cooking project. What will it be?

3 comments:

ashieBee said...

halibut? hmmm interesting! never buy that type of fish. i never come across it in sainsburys oso. got jual kah there? :))

Windchaser said...

apparently it's a high class fish. i haven't seen it in supermarkets before. tasted really nice. you should try it. but it's expensive.

VVN said...

1 word PRO!:)