Saturday 27 February 2010

Ang Ku Kueh

Ang Ku Kueh, which translates to Red Tortoise Cake in Hokkien, is eaten on happy occasions including Chinese New Year, Birthdays, Child Birth etc.

This is the most challenging food project that I've attempted in my life. The reason I made it was just for the sake of using the mould which my dad sent over together with my other food stuff in 2nd year, and because after reflecting really really hard on how to make more people happy during my Reflection Week, this will be a good project. At least the outcome was successful.

The recipe was obtained from this blog. Read on if you're interested in the tedious process of making it.


I had to postpone my experiment a day as I had to soak the red mung beans overnight first.

Making the filling.

The sweet potatoe had to be peeled, steamed and mashed and will be later used to make the skin.

Banana leaves - washed and cut into oval shape.

Making the skin - mixture of glutinous rice flour, tapioca flour, oil, sugar, mashed potatoe, water and red food colouring.

 
 This was the nerve wrecking point. I was impressed with my ability to estimate how much filling and dough required to be fitted into the mould. Tadah! The really cute pink coloured tortoise. Not to worry, the colour will go darker after steaming it.

Steam, steam, steam. The trick to maintain the pattern was to steam with the lid on for 5 minutes, then uncover and steam for another 10 minutes.

First taster batch. Had to make 3 as I had 2 extra audiences.

They just look so good. What about the taste?

 Um.... ummmmm.... Delicious!

Anyone interested in taking a bite will be most welcomed while stock lasts.

3 comments:

h.3.l.3.n said...

i WANTTTTTTTTTTT

ashieBee said...

waaaaaaahhh so terror one! eh helen, maybe u should start do some kitchen experiment oso one of these days? ;)) hehehehehe

Windchaser said...

yaloh. then i'll come down to london to bungkus a few back.