Tuesday 23 February 2010

Honeycomb Biscuit (Kuih Rose) and Siu Mai

It's that time again when I contribute to the society by making a few people less hungry and happy. This only happens when I have free time and stuck in Liverpool.

The 2 food projects this time are Honeycomb Biscuit aka Kuih Rose aka Kuih Loyang and Siu Mai (back due to popular demand)

Guess what I found at China town! The Crispy Baby Clam recommended by my sifu 4.5 years ago while the whole gang of us were visiting Kuching. That is a long time ago and I've found it again.....so many miles away from where I first tasted it. Now, I've created fans of this in Liverpool. Must try.

Ingredients needed for Honeycomb biscuit. I got the recipe from this awesome site. The most important item is the metal mould which I'd imported from Malaysia in 2nd year and haven't been touched till today.

The sticky batter.
 
Deep frying in progress. Had great fun doing this.

Tadah! I read somewhere that this Honeycomb biscuit signifies family unity. So, anyone who's interested can drop by while it lasts.

3rd time making Siu Mai (halal version). You can read my old post on the process of making them here and here.


 The taster. Verdict - successful.
A good way to use up all the egg yolks, mushrooms and water chestnuts is to combine them and make omelette. I didn't expect it to taste so nice but it did.

What will be my next project? Hmmmmm.

3 comments:

h.3.l.3.n said...

if only u stay in london hahaha.. yes i remember the baby clamss! yums!

pp said...

/arghh..u r making me hungry at this hour i the morninggg..

Windchaser said...

too bad. don't access my blog when you don't plan to eat anytime soon. well, what to do. didn't get to apply to london.